Root & Bone: Southern Food in the East Village

200 E 3rd St, NYC

Last week, I had the great pleasure of meeting my friend "S" for dinner. I hadn't seen her in about one month and I wanted to congratulate her for graduating from New York University! I am so proud of her and I cannot believe how quickly time flew by. 

Since S knows the East Village better than I do, I let her choose the restaurant. I was delighted when she chose a Southern food restaurant, especially since I hadn't been to Root & Bone. According to their website, Root & Bone uses "soul nurturing, conscientiously sourced, farm-fresh ingredients. A craftsman's ethics coupled with artistic culinary thought. A tribute to the timeless recipes and traditions of a rural America and the warm embrace of its hospitality." 
The interior
Part of the kitchen
The gorgeous bar
The yummy menu

The menu was so tempting with so many delicious dishes listed. S and I couldn't quite decide on what to order! We knew that the first order of business would be drinks. The selection of alcohol was impressive, especially the whiskey, but ultimately, both S and I decided upon the "Colonel's Daughter." This cocktail was made with: 100 proof bourbon, preserved peaches, amaro montenegro, and rosemary --- and it was absolutely scrumptious! I loved it! 
The Colonel's Daughter

For dinner, we shared an order of Grandma Daisy's Angel Biscuits and The Grilled Peach Caprese Salad. The biscuits were served with "NY honey roasted chicken jus, fresh thyme, and toasted benne sea salt." The biscuits were wonderfully flakey and the chicken jus was gorgeous. My only criticism was that there wasn't much of it! The caprese salad came with "gooey pimento cheese croquettes, charred peaches, pickled green tomatoes, baby heirloom tomatoes, basil & molasses vinegar." This salad was quite refreshing and the grilled peaches were out of this world! An excellent way to start the meal. 
Grandma Daisy's Angel Biscuits
Grilled Peach Caprese

For dinner, both S and I ordered the fried chicken and waffle sandwiches. Who doesn't love the combination of chicken and waffles? I love it and I enjoy it every chance I can! These sandwiches were  made with whiskey maple syrup, pickled green tomatoes, watercress -- all served on a cheddar cheese waffle. Nom, nom, nom!  I absolutely loved this dish and devoured it almost instantly. I particularly enjoyed the pickled green tomatoes. They were wonderfully tart AND sweet. Yum!  
Fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches

After two delicious courses, S and I were getting full, but that didn't stop us from ordering dessert! I mean, that's the most important part of the meal, right? S ordered the lemon mouse, whilst I enjoyed the rhubarb and strawberry pie, which was served with buttermilk ice cream. Wow, what a fabulous dessert! The pie wasn't too tart, but it also wasn't overly sweet. The pie was still warm when it arrived that the table, so everything melted in my mouth. Also, the tartness of the buttermilk ice cream wonderfully complemented the rhubarb pie. Absolutely loved this dessert and if I could, I'd have this everyday! 
Lemon Mousse
Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie served with Buttermilk Ice Cream

I had an absolutely brilliant evening with S at Root & Bone. The food was phenomenal, the ambience was quaint, but more importantly, the company was unbeatable! We had such a great night filled with lots of laughter. Although it's been nearly a week, I'm still thinking about that fried chicken and waffle sandwich, as well as that rhubarb pie! I cannot wait to go back to Root & Bone. Thank you, S, for the introduction! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life