Ottomanelli & Sons: A True Old School Butcher's Shop

Last week, I ventured into the West Village in search of pork belly. My boyfriend and I had talked about making pork belly, but that's not a common cut of meat that you generally find at the grocery store, so I went to a butcher's shop. I did my research to find a reputable butcher's shop and all of my searching came back to "Ottomanelli's and Sons Meat Market."
"Ottomanelli's and Sons Meat Market" on 285 Bleecker Street

From the moment I walked into this butcher's shop, I fell in love. The store is not very large, but it exudes personality and history. It is covered with photographs and news clippings, chronicling the store's history. It was very clear to me that Ottomanelli's is a Manhattan icon and a respected establishment. I knew I had come to the right place for my meat purchase. 
Although I came to Ottomanelli's with the intention of buying pork belly, I was so enchanted by the huge selection of meat, I ended up browsing for a while. Should I also buy steak? pork? sausages? Tyranny of choice is a terrible thing! Remembering a previous conversation I had with my boyfriend, in addition to the pork belly, I ended up buying a beautiful rack of lamb.
Besides the gorgeous selection of meat and the homey vibe, I found the service top notch. Everyone was really friendly and happy to help. I had a sweet older gentleman help me out and he really took his time. He answered all of my questions about how to prepare the meat, different style of cutting, etc… He also did a really wonderful job of trimming and prepping my lamb. I had such a blast chatting with him and learning about the different meats on display.
Preparing my rack of lamb

I really had a fabulous time at Ottomanelli and Sons. I recall texting my boyfriend, telling him that I had died and gone to meat heaven. Sure, buying meat from the grocery store may be more convenient, but nothing beats going to an old-school butcher's shop. There is something about this environment that is just magical, as cliche as that sounds. I can't wait for my next trip to Ottomanelli's! If you haven't been, I highly recommend that you all visit this butcher's shop!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life