Wagamama: Sometimes You Just Need Some Asian Food

We returned to London after a fairly painful and delayed journey from Bletchley Park --- and we were hungry. On this trip, my mother had expressed an interest in visiting an Asian restaurant chain called "Wagamama." This chain seems to be a fusion of Asian cuisine with a heavy emphasis on Japanese and Korean cooking. Despite having visited England many times, I'd never been to Wagamama, so I was more than happy to indulge my mother's request.

Since we were coming from Euston and our flat was in Mayfair, I calculated that the closest Wagamama was in Leicester Square, near the tube stop. We hopped on the Northern Line, from Euston, and arrived at Wagamama in 15 minutes time.


This specific branch of Wagamama was rather interesting. The dining room was located underground and it was cafeteria style. Lots of long communal tables. I had flashbacks to my elementary and middle school days!
The menu was certainly eclectic. Ramen, bulgogi, dumplings, katsu curry, Mongolian beef, firecracker shrimp... I think you get the picture. The variety of food was so extensive, that it was a little overwhelming. Perhaps it was because I was painfully hungry or because I have an affinity for Asian food, but I wanted to order everything!

For drinks, I tried a sparkling elderflower drink.  It was very interesting. It was a bit like drinking sweet carbonated perfume, which doesn't sound very appealing, but it wasn't bad. I've certainly drunk worse things in my life. It definitely wasn't something I could slug back quickly, so I nursed my elderflower drink and with each mouthful, I was becoming more acclimated to the unique taste.
For starters, my parents and I ordered a variety of treats. We started the meal with the "grilled bulgogi wraps," the lollipop shrimp kushiyaki," and finally, the fried chicken. The bulgogi was a bit of a disappointment. It didn't look nearly as nice as the advert and it was WAYYY too fatty. The chicken and shrimp on the other hand, were delightful. The chicken was super crunchy and flavorful. The shrimps were not only cute, and indeed resembled lollipops, but the sweet and sour sauce and with chillies/lime, was awesome. 
The bulgogi
Lollipop shrimp
Fried chicken 

For our mains, all three of us learned towards the Japanese selection. My father enjoyed one of his favorite Japanese dishes --- katsu curry. Mom and I both opted for the ramen. My mother decided on the vegetarian, whilst I decided on a more adventurous option. I figured, "I'm at Wagamama, I should try their special Wagamama Ramen!" This mighty bowl of noodles does not scrimp. Wagamama ramen contains: noodles, grilled chicken, BBQ pork, prawns, mussels, tea stained egg, chikuwa, wakame, and spring onions served in a miso/ginger chicken soup. I have been eating ramen for years and I have never seen or tasted a ramen bowl quite like this! I think this was too creative for my mother, but I loved it! 
Vegetable ramen
Chicken katsu curry
Wagamama ramen

So, it wasn't the best Japanese food I've ever eaten --- but it wasn't the worst I've ever eaten either! I quite enjoyed my meal at Wagamama and began to wish that I had eaten here whilst I was living in London. For some reason, when I lived in England, I was under the impression that Wagamama was overpriced pretentious Asian food, but it's not! I wonder where I got that  wrong preconception from. Hmmm.... Well at least I learned the truth now, instead of later.

Although I may not make Wagamama a culinary priority on my next trip to London since there are still so many places I want to try. That said, if I have a day where I am just craving Japanese food, now I have a go-to place to satisfy my hunger. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life