Post-Work Hangout at Molly's Cupcakes

Yesterday, one of my co-workers at the cancer center and I decided to treat ourselves. A month or two ago, another one of our colleagues, now a first year medical student, had told us about an amazing cupcake store on Bleeker St. She had described these cupcakes as the best she'd ever eaten. With an endorsement like that, how could we resist? It took us several subway rides, but eventually, we arrived at this unsuspecting cupcake heaven! 
228 Bleeker St (West Village)

The store itself has this magical quality. It's hard to explain. I couldn't help but smile when we walked in. It was like traveling back in time to my childhood. With the swinging counter seats, fairy lights, board games, and vintage lunch boxes --- it has a very fun ambience. 
Of course, we weren't there to admire the furnishings --- we were there on a cupcake mission! My coworker and I made a beeline to the two glass counters, filled with an assortment of cupcakes. Blueberry cheesecake, cookie monster, cake batter, lemon meringue…. everything looked delicious! 
cookie dough (left) and cake batter (right)

In addition to the cupcakes, I really loved the presentation of each cupcake sign. Each sign, which looks to be hand drawn, was so adorable. Very very creative!
As an Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant fan, I loved this "North by Northwest" inspired sign
Although the variety of cupcakes for sale is rather extensive, ranging from chocolate to fruit to peanut butter (etc…), there is another option for all of you cupcake fans: BUILD YOUR OWN. Yes, Molly's lets customers build their own ultimate cupcakes. I think that's quite lovely and considerate.
Now, I love cupcakes, that I will admit, but it has been a while since I've eaten a really fantastic cupcake --- I'm rather picky, I suppose. I don't like overly sweet cupcakes, too frosty, and dry tastes. Yuck! I want moist, tasty, and moderately sweet.

I was rather delighted with my purchase. I ordered a "Boston Cream" cupcake, whilst my coworker ordered Molly's famous "Cake Batter" cupcake. We were both blown away by just how soft and fluffy the cupcakes were. I don't know how they make their batter, but it's a dynamite recipe. It was like eating a cloud. So luxurious.

Molly's adds another level of indulgence to their cupcakes because they fill each one! Both of our cupcakes were filled with cream, but others have a fruity filling or peanut butter filling. Cutting into the cupcake and seeming the cream spill out, I really felt like a kid again.

Also, Molly's cupcakes are perfectly sized. Not tiny, like Melissa's, but not ginormous, like Crumb's. Even Goldilocks would agree that the size of Molly's cupcakes are "just right." You are left feeling totally satisfied, but not sickly full.

I also enjoyed the fact that the cupcakes weren't painfully sweet. I love sweets, but again, I hate overly sweet foods. Everything was perfectly balanced. It could have also just been my cupcake. The sweet cupcake and cream was balanced beautifully by the dark chocolate ganache that topped my Boston Cream cupcake. Yum yum yum!
 Boston Cream Cupcake
Cake Batter cupcake 

My coworker and I sat for a while, conversing and enjoying our cupcakes. We made a bit of a mess, but I think that was part of the appeal. What is it about cupcakes that makes you feel like a kid again? Is it the memory of bake sales? The frosting? Eating with your hands? Either way, we really enjoyed ourselves and reprimanded ourselves for not visiting Molly's sooner! In fact, we enjoyed our treats so much, both of us bought a couple cupcakes to bring home to our families!

If you find yourself in the West Village, around Bleeker St, I highly recommend that you visit Molly's. If you want an afternoon snack, you need to satiate a sweet tooth, or you need/want confections to bring home/to someone's house, you can't go wrong with Molly's cupcakes! 

Comments

  1. If you're trying to catch your cheating spouse in the act, I would recommend you reach out to this awesome hacker that helped me monitor my husband's phone. I got virtually every information my hubby has been hiding over the months easily right in my own phone, the spy app diverted all his text messages, Whatsapp, multimedia sent through the phone, social networks on his phone, phone calls and deleted messages. He could not believe his eyes when he saw the evidence because he had no idea he was hacked. He can also improve credit cards.. You can reach out to 'hackingloop6 @ g m a i l .c o m, also reach him on text or WhatsApp + 1(4 8 4) 5 4 0 - 0 7 8 5, if you have similar issues, his services are very affordable and reliable..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life