Fourth of July at Simpson's

My parents and I ended our two week English adventure with a final dinner at Simpson's-in-the-Strand. You could say, we came full circle. We loved our first dinner there so much, that as we were leaving, my dad made a reservation for our final evening. I can't think of a better way to end what I consider one one of the best family vacations we have ever had. We saw so much of England, enjoyed many new experiences, got to spend time with friends and family, but most importantly, we made lots of new and delightful memories. 
In addition to being our last evening in London, it was Independence Day! (I realize that this post is over one month late --- sorry!) It was interesting spending fourth of July in London. Although July 4th is just a regular day for them, for us Americans, it's special. Earlier in the day, I met my friends S and M for a final farewell drink. Jokingly, I wished them both a "very Happy Fourth of July!" S laughed and reciprocated, whilst her boyfriend looked confused. It took him a second to connect the dots and when he said, "this is important in America, right?" I replied, "Yeah…it's the day my country declared independence from your country." We all had a good laugh.

Before we even sat down for dinner, we all knew what was going to be ordered. During our two weeks in England, my parents and I developed a taste for wood pigeon. So delicious and flavorful --- so all three of us started our Simpson's meal with this delicious birdie.
Of course, we all had to order Simpson's famous roast meats. I was a bit boring and ordered the amazing lamb served with mind-blowingly delicious mint sauce. My mother ordered the same. My father ordered Simpson's famous roast beef. The beef was incredibly juicy and tender --- I almost regretted not ordering it too!
Carving the lamb
Impressive beef rump
The roast Scottish Beef served with a HUGE Yorkshire pudding
Roast saddle of lamb with mint sauce, roast potatoes, and sautéed savoy cabbage 
Although the lamb didn't come with Yorkshire pudding, our lovely waitress managed to get some for me and mom

Both times we dined at Simpson's, we had the most AMAZING waitress. She's Scottish and she is so so so lovely. Super personable, attentive, and helpful. Absolutely adored her. When we last ate at Simpson's she arranged to make our reservation for July 4th. Although my father had mentioned that this would be a "very special dinner", we're not quite sure she understood the reference. I had to remind him that in England, July 4th is just July 4th, but I was proven wrong. I don't know whether our waitress understood what dad was saying or she did her research, but when she came to serve us dessert, she surprised us with some marvelous plates! She smiled and said that she had spoken to the chef and asked if they could specially decorate our plates. :D Totally brilliant!
Our beautiful desserts. I felt a little guilty eating them, because it looked so pretty. 

Our dinner that evening at Simpson's was delightful, but also bittersweet. I am really glad that we had our final dinner here, but it also meant the end of vacation. The end of two weeks of bliss. It meant that the next day, I would be boarding an airplane and flying back home…leaving my beloved London behind.

Well, I guess all good things must come to an end at some point, and this just gives me something to look forward to in the future. One thing I know for sure, when I return to London, having afternoon tea at Brown's and dinner at Simpson's will be my top priority! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life