Sawkill Farm: A Hidden Gem

I think I have mentioned this is in earlier blog posts, but my parents and I are all about supporting local farmers. Whenever we visit our cabin, we always like to stop at various stands along the way to stock up on the numerous goodies these famers have to offer. One of my favorite things about being in upstate New York, is definitely all of the locally sourced produce and meats. (I guess that makes sense --- being as obsessed with food as I am!) The farm stands in our area are outstanding and they sell super fresh produce, as well as delicious grass fed meats. I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed!
Our newest discovery and favorite farm to visit is Sawkill Farm. This is a small farm owned by a young (soon to be married) couple, Michael and Kallie. All of their animals are grass fed and pasture raised --- and their meat is absolutely phenomenal! Some of the best I have ever eaten! I’ll tell you, this place may not look like much, but you won’t find better quality meat anywhere else!
The farm store is very rustic and simple, giving off a very homey vibe. Personally, I like that feel. Sawkill Farm has a lovely selection of local honey, maple syrup, and pickles, but it’s the giant freezers that you want to explore. These freezers are filled to the brim with meats like you can’t believe! Beef, pork, lamb, and more. Bacon, roasts, sausages, offal… I mean, it’s everything you could imagine and so so much more! 

Whenever we visit this store, we end up stocking up because everything is so delicious and we devour everything so quickly! On our most recent visit, we stocked up on their smoked bacon (which is out of this world), lamb sausages, steak, and veal shanks (for osso bucco). Dad kept passing me meats, but we had so much, I could barely hold it all! Below, I have provided a selection of how we have cooked Sawkill Farm meat: 
Short Rib
Spare Ribs
Beef Shanks Osso Bucco
Good ol' fashion hamburger 
Sawkill Farm has the best thick cut smoked bacon!

I should also say Sawkill Farm has the best eggs as well. Not only are the eggs delicious and the yolks an amazing yellow color, but also, the eggs are HUGE! I’m not sure how or why they are as big as they are, but they are ginoromous and when you eat them, each egg usually contains two yolks! When we make eggs for breakfast, it’s like getting two eggs for the price of one! Sometimes, because the eggs are so big, I am reminded of the Flinstones. (Haha)
On a side note, if you like animals --- and I don’t just mean farm animals --- you can also play with the farm cats and dog. The pets are very friendly, social, and eager to be pet. I definitely enjoyed making friends with them! They are also quite photogenic, especially the cats!
Beside the quality of meat and adorable pets, I like visiting this farm because of the couple that owns it. Michael and Kallie are so down to earth and some of the nicest people I have ever met. (They are also really adorable together!) They are always so friendly and attentive, and wonderful to chat with. I wish them all the best and can’t wait to hear about their wedding --- which is in June!

If you find yourself in upstate New York, specifically in the Red Hook/Hudson area, I encourage you to visit Sawkill Farm. If you are in need of delicious meat(s) and/or eggs, definitely drop by. If you aren’t in need of protein, you should still stop by and take a look! Chat with the owners, play with the pets, and peruse the freezers. Who knows, you may change your mind and discover something truly delicious! I promise, you WILL NOT be disappointed.


For more information about Sawkill Farm, please visit their website: Sawkill Farm
Also, to learn more about Sawkill Farm, Michael, and Kallie, check out this link: National Young Farmer's Coalition 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life