A Wonderful and Unexpected Birthday Gift

After going MIA for about a month, I finally go to see my best friend, E. I hadn’t seen her in forever, mainly due to the fact that I was studying 24/7 for my finals and the MCAT. With the MCAT done and me completing my NYU post-bac program, I was able to have a life again! The first person I called….? E of course!

Excited and relishing my new freedom (although it’s temporary because I now have to work on my medical school essays…) I set off to Brooklyn to meet E. I love Brooklyn, I really do. It’s such a cool place and the food is phenomenal.

I met E at her house and also got to see her mother, whom I hadn’t seen in a very long time and adore. I was joking with both E and her mom, that after basically studying the whole month and not having a social life, I could slowly be rehabilitated back into society and be re-taught what social interaction is!

Whilst at her house, E surprised me with a belated birthday gift. Very very sweet of her, and totally unnecessary! Just being able to see her was enough. Still, nothing could have prepared me for this amazing gift! As I unwrapped the present, I was stunned and delighted to see that E had bought me the flask that I wanted. To many of you, this may seem anticlimactic, but to me, it was the sign of true friendship.

Last time I saw E and we had gone out for a drink, it was over a month ago. Whilst we were at the bar, I was telling her about my strange desire to own a flask. As a 25 year old female, there is really no reason as to why I should own a flask, but for some reason, I really wanted one. Specifically, I wanted a flask that I saw at the Museum of Natural History. This flask, which was on sale at the gift shop for the poison exhibit, is small and it has an organic molecule carved on it. Having become an organic chemistry nerd and because of my MCAT studies, I just felt drawn to the flask. I know that’s super nerdy of me, but I liked looking at the molecule and being to able to name the various functional groups. Anyway, the point I am making is that I mentioned this to E ONCE at a bar. Although I described the flask, I never showed her a picture.

You can imagine my shock to see that she had actually bought the flask for me! It turns out that after we had this conversation, she visited the Museum of Natural History with her boyfriend, who was visiting from Australia. Whilst he was buying souvenirs there, she remembered my flask and went to look for it in the museum! Low and behold, she found the poison exhibit gift shop, located the flask, and bought for me.

I know this may not seem like a big deal, but I was blown away. I never asked E for the flask and I never gave my story a second thought, but E still managed to track it down and surprise me with it. If that’s not a sign of true friendship, I don’t know what is!


Thank you E! You are the best and I love you to death! Every time I use my flask, I will think of you! xoxoxox
Intend to fill my new flask with my favorite rye: Pendleton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life