Soba Totto

This past Friday night, it was just me and mom. My dad had to return home, since he had surgery --- he was the surgeon --- and then he had jam packed Saturday morning schedule filled with lots of new patients. When it came time for dinner, we knew that it would be Japanese food, the question was just: where?

We have our usual haunts, but we thought we'd go somewhere different, or rather, visit a restaurant we hadn't been to in a long while. After some deliberation, we decided to have dinner at "Soba Totto", located around the corner from Grand Central Terminal.

Soba Totto, whose sister restaurant is called "Yakitori Totto", is a delicious restaurant with quite a vast selection of food. They have noodles, salads, sushi, yakitori, and much much more! Essentially, Soba Totto has food that will appeal to everyone!

We hopped on the subway, got off at 42nd Street, ran to the shuttle, took the shuttle to Grand Central, then walked to the restaurant. A very quick and easy journey. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was PACKED. Every seat was taken and there was quite a wait list! My mother, hungry and determined, made her way to the seating hostess and gave our name.

We really lucked out. Based on the size of the crowd, the fact that we didn't have reservations, and the fact that it was 8 pm in Manhattan on Friday night, I expected an hour wait at least. We were both pleasantly surprised to find that we only had a 15 minute wait. Huzzah!

The meal was glorious. Mom and I shared a salad, a selection of small plates. a diverse collection of yakitori and grilled nibbleys, as well as delicious noodle dishes! Not to mention, our cocktails were strong, but scrumptious! Mom and I both ordered "chu-hai", which is essentially shochu mixed with juice. Mom ordered a yuzu chuhai and I ordered a cranberry chuhai. So yummy!!!
Starters:
Obanzai - a selection of three small dishes selected by the chef
Kari Kari Salad: arugula salad with cream cheese, nori, fried baby fish, and a poached egg
Some of the yakitori (L-R):
grilled octopus tentacles
grilled tofu skin stuffed with natto (fermented soy bean)
grilled shishamo
(L-R):
grilled chicken and scallions
grilled octopus tentacles
grilled eryngi mushrooms
(L-R):
miso covered eggplant (the black looking one)
grilled beef tongue
grilled chicken thighs
tsukune (chicken meatball)
eryngi mushroom wrapped in bacon
I ended my meal with a bowl of cold soba noodles topped with tororo (grated mountain yam), nori, and uni! It was heaven!

As you can seem, mom and I had quite the feast, and we loved every second. I love grilled food, because I love the flavor. Everything was really well seasoned and so so soft! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

The yakitori was so so so good, but for me, the uni was the best part. I am such an uni fiend!!!! So decadent and rich. I seriously can't get enough! Can't wait to come back here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life