Brooklyn Adventures with Mom

This past Friday, my mother and I ventured out to Brooklyn for a bit of an adventure. My mom hasn't really been to Brooklyn, so I was excited to experience this with her. Since Brooklyn is so big, we limited ourselves to the Downtown area, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, and Carroll Gardens neighborhood. 

Our first stop was Cobble Hill. The only reason why I know this neighborhood is because my best friend "E" lives here, although she is currently studying abroad in London. Cobble Hill was settled by the Dutch in the 1640s, and it was used by George Washington as an outpost during the Revolutionary War. It's also a quaint little area filled with boutiques and restaurants! Mom and I had a lot of fun walking around.
Interesting signs on a door
How old school!
What a fun book I came across! 
The local Trader Joe's is built in a former post office

From Cobble Hill, mom and I wandered the back streets of Brooklyn Heights and made our way to the Promenade. So beautiful! This is the first time I was here during the day and it was gorgeous!!!!!!!
semi-panoramic view of downtown Manhattan with the Brooklyn Bridge and Empire State Building
The Brooklyn Heights Promenade
The Statue of Liberty
Close up on the Brooklyn Bridge and Empire State Building

It was around lunchtime when mom and I were on the Promenade, so we decided it was time to find some lunch. For this, I lead my mother to Carroll Gardens. This neighborhood has traditionally been an Italian neighborhood, and Court St definitely reflects this! 
Old school Italian bakery
Almond paste lambs for Easter 
 
Delicious fresh baked Italian breads
Cool store

I'll admit, I don't know Brooklyn that well, but I do love it! Although they are an overwhelming number of places to eat, I wanted to make sure that on her first time in Brooklyn, she had a delicious meal. I decided to take my mom to a restaurant that E took me to once before. It was delicious! 
This restaurant is very small, but very cozy. The old brick and molded ceilings give this restaurant a vintage and laid back feel.
Nice outdoor sitting area
The delicious menu
Appetizer: Mom and I shared this delicious beets and avocado salad
Main: Sausage, red peppers, and onions ragu on a creamy polenta
Dessert: Mom and I shared a ricotta cheesecake.
This was the MOST DELICIOUS ricotta cheesecake I have ever eaten!

After lunch, it was time to leave Brooklyn and return to Manhattan. Although our outing was short, mom and I had a really fun time in Brooklyn. We ate well and saw lots of sites! What could be better?! Can't wait to go back to Brooklyn! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life