Playing Tourist in Manhattan: Day 2

Tuesday, due to my chemistry lab and personal training sessions, I was unable to join M and S on their Manhattan adventures. Luckily, Wednesday I was able to reunite with them. After my morning classes, I met them at the 9/11 Memorial in Wall Street. 

Of course, like everyone around the world, I remember the exact moment when I learned about this tragedy. I was in my 7th grade English class. We were about to get started, when someone ran into my classroom, whispered something to my very pregnant teacher who was eating some Dunkin Donuts. She instantly turned white and ran out of the classroom. I guess this is the "do you remember where you were when JFk was shot?" of my generation. 

Since the tragedy, I have not visited the 9/11 site. In fact, I think I had only visited the Twin Towers once, whilst they were still standing. When M and S asked if I cared to join them on their visit, I was more than happy to join them. As a New Jersey resident (very close to Manhattan New Jersey) and a new Manhattan resident, I felt it was important for me to visit the site. Works cannot even begin to express how somber and moving the memorial is. I suggest that everyone visit the 9/11 Memorial. 
Incredibly moving wall Monument located near the memorial
Freedom Tower (in the works)

Here is the actual 9/11 Memorial. For those who may not know, the memorial is essentially two giant square fountains. The rim of each fountain is inscribed with the names of those who perished. So beautiful, tragic, and moving. 
The Survivor Tree
This tree withstood the 9/11 attacks. 

From the 9/11 Memorial, I took M and S to Chinatown. In London, Chinatown is only a couple blocks long. I mean, I used to go here all the time, and you can walk the entire area in about five minutes! I wanted to take them to New York City Chinatown a) because it is awesome and b) to show them how big it is! M and S were totally shocked. 
We wandered around Chinatown. We walked down Canal St, Mott St...all of the famous streets. We had so much fun. M and S couldn't get over the size and number of people! Feeling peckish, I took M and S to my family's favorite Chinese restaurant: Hop Kee. It's totally old school and my dad has been coming here since medical school!  Another fine meal. 

Hop Kee has been featured on "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" and it's such a Chinatown staple. It's totally retro --- trapped in the 70s --- and well, let's just say you come here for the food. (The service, staff, and decor are not stellar). I ordered pork egg fu young (for my dad), M ordered chicken chow mein, and S ordered beef and mushroom. Everything was delicious, as per usual. The most exciting part of the meal, in my opinion, S's first fortune cookie! Can you believe it! She had never eaten one! I am delighted to say that she liked both her fortune and her cookie.

After Chinatown, we returned to my apartment for a bit. We then set out for the highlight of the evening: Top of the Rock. We had to order tickets in advance in order to visit the 80-something floor of 30 Rock.
Chandelier at Top of the Rock
Sure, another freezing cold night, but a beautiful night. 
Manhattan from Top of the Rock

I should say, although the views of Manhattan were breathtaking, it was F***CKING FREEZING and WINDY AS HELL. In fact, it was so windy, parts of the building were shaking. Furthermore, it was so cold, I was convinced that my hands and face were getting frostbitten. The windchill was so brutal, it physically hurt to be outside. One tragic moment --- the wind was so harsh, that someone's expensive nikon camera, which was balancing on a tripod, was blown over and shattered! Oh dear! After about 30 minutes of frozen agony, we returned inside to the heat and discussed our next adventure.

The night was still pretty young and rather than call it quits, M and S decided that they wanted to visit the center of the world: Times Square! Sure it's a tourist trap and way too too bright, but it is sooo much fun to visit! We walked around Times Square, visiting some stores. We indulged at the M&M's store, Hershey's store, as well as several souvenir stores. 
M&M's store in Times Square
The Hershey's Store
love those Star Trek coasters
Enough said

We had another fun day exploring Manhattan. From the downtown 9/11 Memorial to Top of the Rock to Times Square. Another full day of exploration, fun, and laughter! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life