Afternoon At the Museum --- Unfortunately, Nothing Came To Life...

A few weeks ago, I visited the American Museum of Natural History. I love this museum and I have been here frequently. My dad loves this museum, so I grew up visiting often. What brought me to the museum on this occasion? A biology project.

This semester, biology opened wit taxonomy. We learned about how organisms are grouped and the characteristics of those organisms, basically. To get us "out there" and applying what we learned, the biology department set up a project based on the vertebrate hall. Basically, it was like a not-fun scavenger hunt in the sense that we had to run around the vertebrate hall and answer a bunch of questions.
Getting off the subway
And I am here! 
Dinosaurs in the entrance hall

As soon as I bought my admission ticket, I made my way to the hall of vertebrates, located on the four floor of the museum.  Before beginning my assignment, I visited the Orientation Hall, as instructed by the assignment, to watch a video about taxonomy and the history of vertebrates, narrated by Meryl Streep. It was quite good. I can't exactly say that it was very informative, it basically regurgitated the information that I already know, but it was well done and Ms. Streep was very clear. I sort of wish, that she was my bio professor!
The basic breakdown

I made my way around the first hall hopping from display case to display case. The questions, thankfully, were straightforward, although some of the answers were a bit hidden...I also took some time to snap a few photographs. 
Rawr
Hall of Vertebrate Origins

After the Vertebrate Origins Hall, I visited the two dinosaur halls. Lots and lots of questions to answer! I will admit, when I walking through these two halls, all I could think about was "Jurassic Park"!  
After an hour of wandering amongst the dinosaurs, I made my to the first floor of the museum to visit the "Origins of Humans" hall..well, I tried to. To be honest, I got a bit lost of my way there. I ended up going to the complete opposite end of the museum, which was bad. Ugh. After about 20 minutes of trying to weave my way through the first floor, I arrived at my destination. 
The evolution of humans, in skeleton form

Overall, a very interesting afternoon. I learned quite a lot about vertebrate taxonomy, as well as the historical development of my own race! I'll admit, it was sort of a tedious assignment, but I did learn a lot. My one regret: nothing came to life, like in the movie! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life