New Years Eve --- Japanese Style

I know that this post is nearly one month late, but I hope that won't put people off. Even though it is January 27th, I still wanted to share my Japanese New Years adventures with everyone. This was the whole reason for our winter vacation. As I have mentioned in a previous post, New Years is one of the most important holidays in Japan --- if not THE MOST important holiday. It's all about food, spending time with loved ones, and tradition. I have never spent New Years in Japan, so this was really exciting.
Getting ready for the Olympics

We were fortunate enough to be invited to our good friend's house for New Years. We have known Dr. K and his family for, gosh I don't even know how long. They live in Toyosu, which is a relatively new neighborhood in Tokyo and they have a really spectacular view of Tokyo Bay and the Rainbow Bridge. 
It was a really low key, but very fun New Years filled with amazing food and a lot of laughter. Dr. K was such a gracious host and his hospitality was impeccable. We got to spend time with both his family and his friends, but most importantly, we got to meet his adorable granddaughter!

Normally for me, New Years Eve is pretty uneventful. I don't really do anything. I tend to just relax, watch Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin, and then watch the ball drop in Times Square. Not very exciting. This year was totally not that! I had such a great time and I ate wayyyyy too much delicious food!
An assortment of cooked goodies
Fresh sashimi from the famous Tsukiji fish market 
Steamed king crab
Picked salmon and onions

Traditionally in Japan, every year, NHK (major TV network) airs the "Kohaku Uta Gassen" (紅白歌合戦). To quote Wikipedia: Literally "Red and White Song Battle," the program divides the most popular music artists of the year into competing teams of red and white. The "red team" or akagumi (赤組, 紅組) is composed of all female artists, while the "white" team or shirogumi (白組) is all male. The honor of performing on Kohaku is strictly by invitation, so only the most successful singing acts in the Japanese entertainment industry can perform. In addition to the actual music performances, the costumes, hair-style, makeup, dancing and lighting are important." I've never really watched it, but this year we did and goodness…this was an eye opening experience. I did not know who anyone was, I had no idea what was going on, but I did have a lot of questions…
Watching "Kohaku Uta Gassen" (紅白歌合戦)

Halfway through the party, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that we were going to play a round of Bingo. I cannot even recall the last time I played Bingo! Apparently this is a family tradition for Dr. K and his wife even bought prizes! What fun. I was lucky enough to win a cocktail making set. Huzzah!
By the time we had completed bingo, it was nearly 10 pm. We arrived at around 6 pm and had been eating nonstop. I was so stuffed and convinced that there was no more food. I couldn't have been more wrong. Suddenly, a giant hot pot of vegetables and duck meatball soup appeared. That came with a generous portion of soba noodles! Good god. I was so full, but I couldn't resist. This has to be one of the most delicious noodle soups I've ever eaten!
After stuffing myself silly with soba and duck meatball soup, I had to stop eating. The Japanese are reputed for their small portions, however, I would beg to differ. I have never eaten so much in one night! And everything was so delicious. Right when I thought it was all over, it was time for dessert! Yummy Hoji-cha castella (cake) and coffee.  With a very full belly, I was ready to celebrate the New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life