Kicking Off New Years By Visiting a Japanese Shrine

When I think about my recent trip to Japan, there were many highlights, but I think New Years stands out the most. As I mentioned in a previous post, my New Years Eve is usually fairly low key and uneventful, but that was not the case this year. To celebrate the start of 2015, I did something very Japanese, but it was as totally new experience for me. I kicked off 2015 by visiting a Japanese shrine! This is a tradition in Japan and it was such a cool experience for me. 

A little bit after midnight, we got into Dr. K's car and he drove us to a local Shinto shrine. Although 2015 had just begun, the shrine was already mobbed with people! We had to wait on line for about 45 minutes, before actually getting to the shrine and making our prayers! Although it was cold and the line was long, there was so much to see. It was really fun people watching, but it was even more entertaining to look at all of the food vendors that lined the streets. 
The enormous line

I have visited many shrines and temples, but I've never seen anything like this. First off, I've never seen so many people, but more intriguing, I've never seen so many interesting food vendors. Be it noodles, cakes, grilled fish, finger food… literally whatever you could think of, there was a stall for it!
Grilled meats & seafood
Fish on a stick
Yakisoba
Yakitori
Chocolate coated bananas 

My head was constantly spinning, watching each food vendor. I was so full, but I still wanted to try everything! I will say that normally I am incredibly impatient so the thought of waiting on line for 45 minutes is ridiculous, but all of the scrumptious distractions certainly made the time fly by! 
Getting closer
Employees of the shrine selling good luck charms and amulets

After much waiting, we finally made our way to the shrine and made our prayer(s). I'm not a religious person, so while it felt a little strange to pray, I enjoyed the whole experience. The ringing of the bells, the clapping, and bowing -- it was all part of the experience and it is something I will always remember. 
What a crowd!
The next wave of worshippers

We started of 2015 on the right foot. We made our prayers and could only hope that they were heard by someone. Keeping my fingers crossed that my prayers come true! Now the question was how to leave the shrine. When I say that it was mobbed, that doesn't truly describe the volume of people present. You could barely move through the crowds and the food vendors certainly didn't help! That said, we slowly strolled down the streets, back to the car, but on the way, I got to really witness Japanese food culture. 
About to leave
So many people!
Grilled meats
More grilled fish on a stick
Not sure, but it looks yummy
Yaki soba
Yaki tori and other grilled meats
Yum! 
A lot of hungry people
More dessert bananas
New Years decorations
Tako yaki
Grilled squid
Daruma
Cold people eating delicious food
More tako yaki
Grilled meat of sorts
Oden

As you can tell, there was A LOT to see and smell! If only I had been hungry! Everything looked for delicious. One thing I learned on this trip was just how much of a foodie culture Japan has. I always knew this fact, but this really proved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life