CRABFEST at Umeya

Two weeks ago, my parents and I were fortunate enough to snag an invite to an event called "Crabfest." Crabfest was an elaborate Japanese feast that revolved around fresh Alaskan King crab, which was specially flown in! The event was held at our favorite Japanese restaurant in Cresskill, Umeya. 

Whenever we go to Umeya, we always sit at the counter. ALWAYS. The past couple times that we have been to Umeya, we have run into a guy name Mike. Mike is very interesting. He is in IT, but for fun, he opened up a delicious ice cream store in Hackensack (Ice cream by Mike). Very cool guy.

A few weeks ago, when we were at Umeya, he told us that he was planning on purchasing a bunch of fresh King Crab and he invited us to join him and his friends at Umeya for "Crabfest." My parents and I were intrigued and excitedly accepted his gracious invitation. 

To say that Crabfest was incredible is an understatement. The atmosphere was lively, but more importantly, the food was out of this world! I was sort of just expecting crab, but Umeya outdid themselves! They put on a feast like no other. Of course there was crab, but it was prepared in a couple different ways. Steamed, grilled, and the innards were made into a risotto of sorts. In addition to crab there was: shabu shabu beef, a huge array of sushi, wagyu sushi, tempura, edamame, raw oysters, and A LOT of sake! 
Shabu shabu, the fresh crabs, sushi boat, and oysters
Tempura and sushi
The selection of crab
Wagyu beef sushi

I won't lie --- I overindulged. I just ate and ate and ate until I physically couldn't eat anymore. Everything was just so delicious! I have never eaten such delicious King Crab before. It was so sweet and juicy, and not salty at all! Normally, we will order frozen King Crab and it's quite salty (that's part of the preservation process). This fresh Kind Crab totally blew me away with it's delicate and succulent flavor.

The accompanying dishes were also a treat. I really pigged out on the sushi. It's Umeya's specialty and they make the best sushi in Bergen County. Hands down, no competition. Similarly, the wagyu beef sushi is an ingenious idea and I took full advantage!

We ended the feast with Mike's homemade ice cream. He brought chocolate, vanilla, and coconut. They were all really really yummy! My only regret was that I was too full to have seconds!
Ice Cream by Mike

All in all, the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. May the partying commence!!! (And thank you to Mike for organizing the party and to Umeya for hosting/cooking!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life