Lazy Sunday Night

A few weeks ago, I had dinner with my good friend H. I always affectionately call "H" my "sister from another mister" because we are like sisters and have been friends for over a decade. Wow!

H is living in the city with her parents and splits her time between work and attending grad school at Pratt. Very cool. She is studying graphic design. 

I made my way uptown to meet H for dinner. First, I stopped off at a famous Japanese sweets store called "Minamoto no Kitchoan" to buy a present for H and her parents. This store, located off 5th Ave and next to Rockefellar Center, sells traditional Japanese desserts. It's a really gorgeous store and the goodies they sell are delicious! Choosing what to buy is always difficult because everything is so enticing!

Since I was sort of in a rush, and wasn't quite sure what to buy, I ended up calling my mom and sending her pictures from the store. Essentially, she was picking out what I should buy, even though she was in NJ. After much deliberation, we settled on some yokan sold in a very cute "oni" paper container.
With my treats in hand, I made my way back to the subway and continued my journey uptown. It was so crowded in the subway!!!!

After a rather unpleasant subway ride, as a drunkard had vomitted in my subway car, I returned above ground at 86th street. It was freezing cold, so I quickly made my way to the restaurant --- Celeste. It seems that this is a family favorite. This small Italian bistro really is a hole in the wall. My 500 sq ft apartment is bigger than this place! Celeste is really low key and is cash only!!!

I was delighted to see H. Although we spoke via facebook and text message, I hadn't really seen her since August. Far too long! We talked about everything. Life, school, the weather, the future, careers, the past...I mean...everything.

H and I started our meal with eggplant rollatini. One of my favorite things! Actually, I love anything with eggplant. It was delicious. For dinner, I ordered the house cheese raviolli with a creamy cheese and sage sauce. This was jaw droppingly good. H ordered shrimp pasta, which was equally delicious.

After dinner, we ventured out into the cold and made our way back to her apartment for dessert. Apparently, H had gone to Zabar's earlier and stocked up on some goodies!

H lives in a gorgeous old school apartment building right off 79th street. It's very vintage 1960s, with the wood paneling and architecture. In fact, elevator has one of the barriers that goes across the door, like in the old films. How cool!

H's family apartment it quite spacious. I love it! Beautiful wood paneling, lots of rooms, and again, a very vintage feeling. Love love love it!

H's mom is a very lovely macrobiotic cooking enthusiast, and she baked us macrobiotic cookies. I love both of H's parents....they are like my second parents. They lovingly greeted me and welcomed me into their home. As H and I got comfortable in the living room, then the desserts started to appear. Apple tart and cheesecake from Zabars, yokan, and homebaked macrobiotic, black tea, and some Macallan. What could be better?
The Macallan was a bit of a surprise. H's dad and my dad both love scotch and they often drink it together. Taking after our fathers, H and I both have developed a taste for scotch. H's dad appeared out of nowhere and poured us both small drams of delicious Macallan. Now that's the life.
Overall, it was a lovely evening filled with good food, good friends, and lots of laughter. The perfect way to start another long week of homework and classes! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life