Les Misérables: The Film

Last week, my parents and I went to see the new film adaptation of "Les Misérables." What a beautiful and moving film! I don't think I have ever cried so much during a movie. Everything about it was so emotional and just well, so beautiful! Tom Hooper, well done sir. You have just nominated yourself for another Oscar. Also, this is the year that my beloved Hugh Jackman gets nominated for an Academy Award...I just know it!

I am a fan of musicals, but I can't tell you that I was a hardcore Les Mis fan. Years ago, whilst vacationing in London with my parents, we saw Les Mis in the West End, since it is (and was) no longer playing on Broadway. I remember enjoying it and I remember the story, but the music didn't really stick with me. Of course, I remembered the super famous songs ("I Dreamed A Dream", "Master of the House", etc...) but that was about it. Still, when I learned about the movie, I was excited and looking forward to seeing it.

Let me take a moment to say that I am a HARD CORE Hugh Jackman fan. I have seen pretty much all of his films, even his obscure Australian ones! I unfortunately was unable to see him on Broadway in "The Boy from Oz," however, I was fortunate enough to see him when he returned to Broadway in "A Steady Rain" with Daniel Craig (2009) and in "Hugh Jackman: Back on Broadway" (2011)! Of course, I don't know him personally, but from the two times I have been him on Broadway, he genuinely is an amazing actor, not to mention an incredible singer! Also, he seems like a genuinely nice and down to earth guy --- someone you could be friends with. Gotta love that.
I was lucky enough to snap this picture of Hugh Jackman whilst "stagedooring" after "A Steady Rain"
Both Daniel Craig (top signature) and Hugh Jackman (bottom signature) signed my program!

It's so funny to watch Hugh Jackman sing, because --- and I am sure everyone thinks this --- that's Wolverine! That's Wolverine up on stage singing and dancing to "Singing In The Rain" or tearfully belting "Bring Him Home." It's sort of wonderfully bizarre. When Hugh was starring in his one man show in 2011, he was telling the audience about how excited he was to start filming Les Mis. He was excited and we were excited. A win win for all. From that moment on, my countdown to Hugh Jackman's Jean Valjean began!
Now, let me refocus on Les Mis. Hugh Jackman really impressed me, once again. I may cause eyebrows to be raised, but he was made for this part. He looked the part, he acted the part wonderfully, and he sang it beautifully. I mean, who else in Hollywood could have played Jean Valjean? George Clooney? Michael Fassbender? I think not. As an established singer and actor, Hugh Jackman was definitely the logical choice and he did not disappoint. His interpretations of the lyrics and the emotions he delivered were so moving. Throughout the film, I would be swooning one minute and then crying alongside Valjean the next. I am so delighted that Hugh Jackman starred as Jean Valjean and I really hope he gets nominated for an Oscar. (Of course, I would also be over the moon if he won...but someone, I don't think he will...not while Daniel Day Lewis is playing President Abe Lincoln...I hope that I am wrong though!)
Jean Valjean: the ex-convict
Jean Valjean: the self made man

Years ago, I watched the 1998 film adaptation of Les Mis and was distinctly unsatisfied. (I read the book in school). It was just so blah and superficial. Such a shame considering the fact that I am a Geoffrey Rush and Liam Neeson fan! I think Tom Hooper was much more faithful to the story, be it the musical version, and his interpretation of the music was brilliant. Not to mention the sets and costumes! I sense Oscar nominations there as well.

I don't want to give too much away for those you may not have seen the film yet, but I will share with you one of my favorite scenes of the film. I feel odd saying "favorite" since it is by far one of the most depressing scenes, however, Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" was just mesmerizing and brought me to tears. In an interview, Anne Hathaway said that rather than make this song the big number that is is, she wanted to strip it down and really make it raw. She pointed out that if you really listen to the lyrics, "I Dreamed a Dream" is about a woman who has really hit rock bottom and her life is the definition of misery. She wanted the audience to feel Fantine's despair.  By the end of the song, Anne Hathaway had transformed me into a ball of tears!
Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream"

Not all of the movie is depressing, I assure you of that! Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as Monsieur and Madame Thenardier was brilliant casting! What a wonderfully hilarious duo. Both look wonderfully cooky and they pick a man's pocket with such skill! I couldn't stop smiling every time they were on screen. I was also pleasantly surprised by both Baron Cohen and Bonham Carter's singing. Not too shabby guys! The two of them have such wonderful chemistry together and I sort of want to see them act together in more films! Tim Burton cast Sacha Baron Cohen in Sweeney Todd, so who knows...maybe my wish will come true! The one thing that kept me scratching my head...why did Sacha Baron Cohen switch from a French accent to Cockney English? Hmm....

 I really have nothing bad to say...except for maybe Russell Crowe. I will admit, I don't love Russell Crowe. There is something about him. Maybe it's his bad attitude or his acting? I don't know...he just doesn't do it for me. I was skeptical about Crowe playing Javert, and frankly, I still am. His voice was strange. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't neccesarily great. Sort of like Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera. My other criticism is Amanda Seyfriend. I don't really care for her either and her voice is very strange too me --- too high.

Overall, I highly recommend that everyone see this film. It is a truly wonderful and poignant adaptation. Sure it's sort of depressing, but it is beautifully done, the cast is fantastic, and the music is superb. Be sure to bring tissues or a handkerchief though! You will need it!!!!

Top (L-R): young Cosette (Isabelle Allen), Cosette (Amanda Seyfried), Marius (Eddie Redmayne), Javert, (Russell Crowe), and Eponine (Samantha Burke)
Bottom (L-R): Fantine (Anne Hathaway), Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman), M. Thenardier (Sacha Baron Cohen), Mme. Thenardier (Helena Bonham Carter), and Enjolras (Aaron Tveit)

*I made this picture myself

DISCLAIMER: ALL OF THE LES MIS IMAGES WERE FOUND ONLINE. I DO NOT OWN THEM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life