Oven Roasted Chicken Stuffed With Chorizo and Cannelloni Beans

This weekend, I decided to challenge myself and roast my own chicken. I love roasted chicken, but I've never made it myself. Also, for some reason, I feel like it is a dish that everyone should attempt at least once in their life. 

For this task, I turned to my culinary guru: Gordon Ramsay. I came across a great recipe for "Stuffed Chicken." I have to say, the fact that it is a Gordon Ramsay creation alone had me interested, but this dish genuilely looked delicious. Not your typical roast chicken --- more like roast chicken with a Spanish twist. Really delicious and a great family meal!

To watch Gordon cook this recipe, click this link: Gordon's Oven Roasted Chicken Stuffed with Chorizo and Cannelloni Beans. 

Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken (mine was about 7 lb)
-2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (you can add more/less)
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
- 14 oz cannellini beans (1 can)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme*
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole lemon

*buy a whole package. You will need a tsp for the recipe, but for the roasting pot, you will want to add generously to your wine and water mixture.
Directions For the Stuffing:
1. Prepare the onions, chorizo, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes
2. Heat olive oil in a pan. Once the oil is very hot and smoking, add the chorizo. Sauté until brown. 
3. Next, add the onions. Allow onions to mix with chorizo and saturate with chorizo oil and olive oil. 
4. Add garlic and time. Mix well.
5. Rinse and drain your cannelloni beans. Add the pan. Mix well, but mix gently. 
6. Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and if you desire, a bit more thyme.
7. Add the sun dried tomatoes. Once everything is mixed together, allow stuffing to sit.
Directions for Chicken:
1. Prepare your spice mixture. I mixed a bit of paprika with salt and pepper.
2. Add a bit of olive oil to your chicken and rub down the chicken.
3. Next, cover the chicken with the paprika seasoning mixture. BE GENEROUS and really rub the seasoning into the chicken!!! Also, season the inside of the chicken too! 
4. Once your chicken is lubricated and seasoned, spoon the chorizo stuffing into the chicken. If someone is around to help you, this would be a good time to seek assistance. It is much easier to spoon in the stuffing, if someone is holding the chicken. I learned this the hard way…
Once you are done stuffing the chicken, insert a whole lemon, to close the hole. Secure lemon as best as possible. 
5. Measure out 1 cup of white wine and 1 cup of water. 
6. Once your chicken is ready, place into a baking pan. 
7. Add wine and water to baking pan. 
8. Add thyme sprigs. Be generous! 
9. Wrap your chicken as tightly as possible with aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is sturdy around the edges of the pan. This will ensure that the chicken cooks evenly and stays very moist.
Allow the chicken to cook in the oven for 1 hour. 
10. Once the 1 hour has passed, uncover the chicken and allow it to cook for another 45 minutes or until popper pops up. You also want a nice golden color on your chicken!
11. After one hour, remove the foil and let your chicken bake for another 45 minutes (or until cooked). 
12. Once your chicken is cooked, remove from pan and let sit. Scoop out the stuffing and then carve! 
Chorizo and Cannelloni Bean Stuffing
My nicely carved chicken (courtesy of my resident orthopedic surgeon)

And voila, a lovely weekend dinner! Oven roasted chicken, chorizo and cannelloni bean stuffing, roasted zucchini and squash, and my mom's citrus carrot salad. So delicious!
I was really delighted by how succulent the chicken came out. Since this was my first attempt at roasting my own chicken, I was terrified it would taste bad or come out dry, but this was not the case. The chicken tasted great and it was so so so tender and juicy! The stuffing was also really flavorful and yummy. This recipe was a winner and I can't wait to make this again! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life