It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas...

Perry Como sang it. So did Bing Crosby and Michael Buble. December is upon us…which means it is the holiday season and "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!" This is without a doubt, my most favorite time of year. There is something magical about the holiday season --- at least in my book.

Forgive me if this sounds corny, but I love the feeling of goodwill towards men, the snow, the sense of love that emanates this time of year. The smell of nuts, seeing everyone with their shopping bags, but most importantly, the smiles. I may simply be naive, but even a fast paced and cynical city like Manhattan changes its tune this time of year, in my opinion. People just seem nicer to each other --- and I love that. Not to mention, when we get snow, everything looks really beautiful and peaceful. 
Nothing says "Christmas in NYC" like snowfall and Christmas trees on a city sidewalk!
My apartment building certainly got into the Christmas spirit!
Christmas tree in the lobby of my apartment 
Washington Square Park Christmas tree

After a very busy fall semester, I am finally home for winter break! A month away from school and homework (almost) --- what a luxury! I say almost because I am currently prepping for the MCAT and need to start working on some medical school related applications. Ugh. Still, at least I am home with my family, enjoying the holidays, eating well, and building lots of wonderful memories! 
Winter has certainly arrived. 

My winter break began with a snowstorm! How wonderful. It wasn't a major snowstorm by any means, we only received a couple inches, nonetheless, it was still really exciting! Made me really get into the white Christmas vibe. 
Panoramic shot of part of my backyard and driveway --- what a winter wonderland! 
Dad and I were getting ready to run some errands. 
Whilst the snow was falling outside, my cat (Jiji), decided to cuddle up in her basket for a long winter's nap. 
The next day, she braved the cold and snow, and patrolled the yard. She came back into the house almost instantly.

The day after the snowstorm, my family gathered to decorate the Christmas tree and our living room. We have so many Christmas decorations that our numerous boxes are overflowing. We are at maximum capacity! That said, our decorations and ornament hold special meaning. Dumbledore was able to store his memories in a penseive, we have our Christmas ornaments and decorations. I should also say, in our house, tradition dictates that the first Christmas album played when decorating the tree is "Christmas with the Chimpmunks", as in Alvin and the Chipmunks. I don't care what people think, I love the Chimpunks and we have been carrying out this tradition since I was a little girl! 
The Christmas decorations are out! In this picture, my mother is decorating the Christmas tree. 
I am very proud of my Bryn Mawr College Christmas ornament. Some of you may (or may not) be wondering why I would by a green ornament for a green tree --- the answer is simple. Green is my class color! 
Some of our cuddly friends decorate the top of my father's model ship and his scrimshaw.(He made everything in that display case!) 
We also had the Michael Buble Holiday station on Pandora playing, to keep us merry!
My mother really got into the holiday spirit, and had a really fun time decorating the tree. Here, she is putting the finishing touches on the Christmas tree. I also made sure to hang stockings for me, mom, dad, and Jiji! 

The culmination of this fantastic weekend was dinner. When I come home for the weekend, Sunday nights are usually rushed because we eat dinner, but then my parents drive me back to Manhattan. The drive is by no means difficult or unpleasant, but it is sort of a bummer and it makes you rush because you are constantly checking the clock. With my classes over, that was not an issue, so we were able to enjoy a delicious and relaxing family dinner by the Christmas tree and roaring fireplace.
To me, this photograph captures the joy of Christmas time. Good food, beautiful surroundings, and the best of company.
My father baked a glazed home, whilst my mother prepared arugula mashed potatoes, a citrus carrot salad, and steamed broccoli/cauliflower finished with cheese and garlic. This was all washed down with champagne --- my favorite! 

Looking back on these photographs, I cannot express in words how thankful that I am for all that I have. I am truly fortunate to have an amazing family (both here and abroad) who love and support me unconditionally. I am healthy, I am working hard in school, and I have wonderful friends, whom I love and adore. I also have a fantastic online audience with whom I can share my adventures, thoughts, and recipes. 

I'd like to conclude this post by wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. For those who are not religious, a very Happy Holiday, and for those who celebrate Kwanza, Happy Kwanza. I know that Chanukah was a while ago, but a Happy belated Chanukah to my Jewish readers. In fact, I think I'll try to cover everything and say, "Happy Chrisma-hanza-kwanzikah To You All!" And to quote Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol, "God Bless Us All, Everyone." 
(Just a note, I am not at all religious, I just love A Christmas Carol.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life