White Truffles Are In!

In recent years, December has become synonymous with truffle season. My family is crazy about truffles, especially my dad, so now, every December, we indulge and purchase them. This past weekend, our shipment of amazingly delicious and aromatic white truffles arrived, so the gourmet feasting was kicked into high gear.

Now, I should say, these truffles are not Italian. In fact, they are grown in Oregon! That's right, these are AMERICAN truffles. Although they aren't Italian, I think they taste and smell virtually identical, and they are much more affordable. Huzzah! We love ordering these Oregon truffles.

Our white Oregon truffles
Look at that texture and color! So beautiful. 

One of our favorite ways to eat truffles is to use them as a garnish for chawanmushi. This is not an original idea, but rather something we have stolen from many Japanese restaurants in Manhattan. Chawanmushi is a savory egg custard that is steamed. It is made with a dashi sauce and can contain all sorts of goodies. My mom tends to include tofu, rock shrimp, and shimeji mushrooms into our chawanmushi. So delicious…and the truffles really lift the dish. Not only do they taste fantastic, the aroma they produce is just out of this world! Such decadence. 
My mom's homemade chawanmushi garnished with white truffles

My dad on the other hand, went a little truffles crazy, garnishing scrambled eggs with a generous heaping of truffles. Perhaps a little too luxurious? I don't know. What I do know is, eggs and truffles go together smashingly. I mean, who would've thunk it? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life