Upstate Antiquing

I hope everyone enjoyed a lovely Memorial Day Weekend! I don't know about you, but the first half of the weekend was awful. It was cold, rainy, and miserable. Ugh. After weeks of gorgeous 60, 70, and even 80 F weather, suddenly, we were back to 40 F and freezing!

Still, my family and I spent the weekend in upstate New York, at our cabin. Since I am still in school, I don't get to go up very often, but the cabin is truly a peaceful retreat. We are on top of a mountain, surrounded by 50 acres worth of forest. It's gorgeous.

One of the main reasons why we came up this weekend, was to visit an antique fair. Apparently my mother is an avid antiquer, this was news to me, and had a burning desire to attend this. With no other major plans, the three of us hopped into the truck and made our way to the Dutchess County Fairground. 
the entrance to the fair
Now, I will be the first to admit, I am not big on antiques. I don't really enjoy antique shopping. Perhaps I just haven't had good experiences, but whenever I have gone, invariably, it's a bunch of overpriced junk. If you are reading this and you like antiques, I apologize if I have offended you. You may think me uneducated, since I very may well be. What can I say? Antiques just don't do it for me. Neither does thrift shopping--- sorry Macklemore! (I still love you, your music, and that song!) I also find that antique stores have a strange odor that makes me nauseous... Anyway, this event was no different. I went with my parents, like a good daughter should, and was lucky enough to come across some interesting looking items...none of which I purchased. 
I saw this upon entering the antique fair
As you can see, it was pretty busy

I love the skeleton poster!
Having just watched the new Great Gatsby, this made me think of 
Dr. T.J. Eckleburg and his giant billboard
So this is probably the most intruiging thing I saw at the entire fair
Yes, those are minstrels. As in white men in black face. I don't know which was more shocking, the minstrels or the fact that the blurbs underneath each photo was written in ebonics!
Apparently this photo is from 1910.
Cool old cameras
Old creepy black doll? I am sensing a troublesome theme...
That's a lot of signs...
So.....basically, home.
Oh dear...I'm scared to see what the good reverend has to say...
These are early osteopathy charts circa 1910
Probably my all time favorite item that I saw. I wish I could've purchased it...
too bad it was $4,800!

I'd love a set of these for my kitchen
I don't know whether this is cool or terrifying...
I saw this hiding in the same area as the minstrel photographs.
What is this vendor playing at?!

Although I don't like antique shopping, I was pleased to stumble upon some interesting items at the antique fair. In the end, I thought most of the stuff was incredibly overpriced and I am curious to see who buys most of the items on sale? I am certainly not a convert and I don't see myself running to another antique event, but as long as mom likes this stuff, I'll be good and shop with her. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life