Rooftop Postbac Party

This past Friday was probably one of the best and most fun days ever! I wish I could relive it over and over again. After a rough two weeks of midterm exams, a bunch of my friends and I decided it was time to just hang out, de-stress, and not think about school. What a perfect idea! Let me tell you, this was one of the most brilliant things we have ever done. It was so relaxing. We laughed A LOT, drank A LOT, ate A LOT, and just really bonded. What's better than that? I can honestly say, I love my friends, and I don't think I could survive postbac without them!

So, the day began at about 11 am, after chemistry recitation. I returned to my apartment to do some baking. My mom always taught me to bring something when invited to someone's home, so I did just that. Although I live in Manhattan and there are plenty of scrumptious foods around, I decided that I wanted to bake something. With my busy schedule, I haven't been able to indulge my culinary passion, so this presented a prime opportunity.

Since I am trying to be healthy, and have been successful, I decided to bake "carrot cake cupcakes." Ok, yes, not the healthiest --- I mean it is a cupcake --- but I used 1 lb of shredded carrots, a 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, and a 1/2 cup of raisins. You could argue that that is vegetables, protein, and fruit being represented, right? Ha! I basically used my carrot cake recipe, but instead of baking it in a tin, I spooned the batter into cupcake liners.

After several hours of baking, I succeeded in baking lots of delicious carrot cake cupcakes! I also made cream cheese icing from scratch too!
Tada! Cupcakes for the party. There were still a lot more, but I gave those to my trainer.

Baked goods in hand, I made my way over to my friend L's apartment. She lives in the East Village, a mere 20 minute walk. It was an absolutely gorgeous spring day and the party was on the roof of her building. It was heaven. L bought lots of beverages and snacks, while our friend M brought peanut brownies that she baked. Yummm. With all of us present, the party commenced and boy did we have fun!

I have to say, as corny as this may sound, I really felt like a New Yorker. Here I was in the East Village, hanging on a rooftop with friends, lounging, drinking cider, and having a marvelous time. The sun was out, cool breezes blew....it was perfection.

L broke out a game called "Cards Against Humanity." For those of you who aren't familiar, this game is the "R" or "X" rated version of "Apples to Apples." Essentially, you have black topic cards and then white response cards. Each person takes 10 white cards and one person reads off a black topic card. For example, the card could read: What made mom cry? It is the task of the other players to go through their white cards and pick a response. The white cards are so depraved that you can't help but laugh at the ridiculous responses that are submitted! I would give you some examples here, but I fear they are too rude and depraved! All I can is, we laughed A LOT. 
Best party game ever

My friend L, also has a super cute dog named "Bambi." Bambi was so social and was kissing everyone! This dog was so happy to be around people. She was also really well behaved.
Bambi climbing onto my lap. 

We must have been on that roof for a couple of hours, and we loved every minute...in fact, I think the only reason why we left was because it got dark and cold. These people are amazing. Although I have my issue with NYU, I will say, I love the other students in my program (or at least my friends). They are the coolest, smartest, funniest, most helpful people ever. I think I would go completely and utterly insane without them. So, we've basically completed year one of postbac, here's to year two, guys!
My friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life