Breast Cancer Seminar

In April, I was fortunate enough to attend a fascinating seminar on breast cancer and the Japanese community. Back in early April, my mother called me saying that she read about this seminar in a local Japanese newspaper. She told me about this a) because she knows that I am fascinated by breast oncology and b) one of the keynote speaker is my boss from the NYU Cancer Center.

Before I proceed, I should say that since February, I have been working at the NYU Langone Cancer Center as a clinical research assistant. After I graduated college and before I started my postbac, I spent a year working as a clinical research assistant, so basically, I was back doing my old job, which I really enjoy. Essentially, I input patient questionnaires into one of two databases (high risk or cancer) and I read a lot of pathology reports.

 Back to the seminar. This seminar was hosted by the BC Network, a Japanese breast cancer community. I hadn't heard about it until now. This seminar had three lecture components: the medical perspective, healthy eating, and healthy living. My boss, Dr. Freya Schnabel, was there to talk about breast cancer from the medical perspective. 
Registration for the seminar.
The event was hosted as the Japanese Consulate. 

Dr. Schnabel's presentation was fascinating. I learned quite a lot about breast cancer in Japan. For example, whereas the average age of diagnosis in American is 55 years old, in Japan it is 45 years old! Shocking, right?! I'm not quite sure why the 10 year age gap, but I am intrigued to find out. Dr. Schnabel wasn't sure either. 

Dr. Schnabel's lecture was short, but covered general statistics, the varieties of breast cancer, treatment, etc... I found the whole thing eye opening and incredibly educational. I hope the other attendants found the lecture as interesting as I did. 
Dr. Schnabel 

Although I don't know much about this organization, I think it is wonderful. I commend the women who have reached out to breast cancers patients, survivors, high risk patients, friends, and families, etc...and created a community like this one. I hope to get involved with this organization or at least attend future events! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life