Starting Off Winter Break with "Il Barbiere di Siviglia" (The Barber of Seville)

I finally finished my fall semester at NYU. It was brutal and my exams were wicked hard, but I am done and seemed to have survived, although I may have some psychological scarring.

This past weekend (12/21-12/24), my parents were staying in NYC. We have a sort of time share deal and as frequent Metropolitan Opera visitors, my parents take long weekends in the city at least once a month. Just by coincidence, their latest opera was right after my final exams, so we were able to spend a pre-holiday weekend in our beloved New York City.

I met my parents for dinner on Friday (12/21) and we went to David Burke Kitchen. The past two meals I have had there were delicious, but this dinner was a disaster. I don't want to go into it too much because I could spend hours ranting, but let's just say it was a culinary disaster that I am still recovering from! I have never eaten such vile tasting food in my life! I mention this dinner because it was here, that my mother asked me to accompany my father to the opera in her stead.

It seems that my mother is still recovering from a cold and a) was still not feeling great and b) due to her nonstop coughing, she did not want to disturb other audience members. Very noble. I agreed.

On Saturday early afternoon, my father and I walked a couple blocks to the Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center to watch the very funny, "Il Barbiere di Siviglia" or "The Barber of Seville", by Italian composer Gioachino Rossini.

For those who may not know, this opera is probably one of the most beloved comedies in the history of opera. Ok, if that's too bold of a statement, it's one of MY favorite comedies...actually, I think it is my favorite comedy. It is a love story chock full of plot twists, jokes, and laughter.

Essentially, the dashing Count Almaviva is in love with the beautiful Rosina, but Rosina is imprisoned by her overbearing guardian Dr. Bartolo. Count Almaviva disguises himself as a poor student named "Lindoro" and courts Rosina, who promptly falls in love with him. Unable to access his love, Almaviva  enlists the help of his wily and clever friend, Figaro --- the Barber of Seville. Together, Almaviva and Figaro create a plan that will allow Almaviva to whisk Rosina away, whilst pulling the wool over Dr. Bartolo. This is of course a gross over simplification, but you get the point.

The cast was wonderful, although this performance was not a good as past performances. Why? Because this was a special children's abridged matinee sung in English! My dad and I were very stunned to learn this. It was nice to see the opera house filled with such adorable children, but I have this weird thing about opera sung in English. I hate it. It's just downright strange to me. I can't quick explain why, but for me English opera is like a train wreck you are forced to sit through. No thank you.

Still, instead of being 3+ hours long, I was pleased that the Met was able to cut it down to 2 hours. The one problem, now, if I see this opera again and it drags, I will be thinking, "This is unnecessary! I have seen this move faster!" Haha. Seriously though, apart from the English, the production was funny and beautiful. I have nothing bad to say.
The Metropolitan Opera House
Very impressive Christmas Tree at the Met
Inside the beautiful theater
Curtain call. The main cast is up front
The actor standing alone did a fabulous job as the beloved protagonist, "Figaro the Barber of Seville"
Beautiful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life