Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecorino Cheese & Canadian Bacon

This year for Christmas dinner, I cooked something I never in a million years thought I would cook --- BRUSSELS SPROUTS. I don't know about you, but I hate these little green baby cabbages. I think they taste gross and I hate them...that is until recently. This past weekend, we ate a delicious Italian restaurant in NYC called "Locanda Verde" and the waitress suggested their brussels sprouts as a side. My dad loves me, so I hesitantly agreed. The waitress said that they were the most popular side dish and assured me that I would enjoy them...I took her word for it and hoped for the best.

Then they arrived. All tiny and green, with a strange smell. Here's goes nothing. I popped one of those roasted suckers into my mouth, and you know what? It's wasn't half bad. For the first time in my entire life, I enjoyed a brussels sprout! In fact, I wouldn't stop eating them! They were roasted and served with bacon and pecorino romano. Delicious! After this experience, I was inspired and decided to attempt to make them at home. 

Then Christmas came and the perfect opportunity presented itself. I did some searching on the net, but ultimately I came up with this recipe on my own. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

Ingredients: 
- 2 (10 oz) containers brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
- 1/2 cup (roughly) shaved pecorino romano cheese 
- 5 slices canadian bacon, diced
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. 

2. Prepare the brussels sprouts and cut in half.

3. Coat the sprouts generously with seasoning and olive oil. I like to mix with my hands, to ensure that everything is coated. 
4. On a prepared baking sheet, spread out the brussels sprouts. 
5. Place brussels sprouts in the oven and allow to cook for about 25 - 30 min. I'd keep an eye on them and check every so often to ensure they don't burn.

6. Whilst your sprouts are roasting, prepare the pecorino romano and canadian bacon. 
7. Right before you are going to take the brussels sprouts out of the oven, brown the canadian bacon. This will add a bit more flavor. 
8. Once your sprouts are done, take them out of the oven and empty them into a bowl. Then mix in the Canadian bacon, and finish with the cheese. Voila! Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life