Christmas Eve 2012

My goodness, I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by! It seems like yesterday that I was just ringing in the New Year, and now, it's already December 2012! Well, after enjoying a pre-holiday weekend in the city, it was time to go home. First stop, Korean bakery to stock up on some goodies! We bought some delicious pastries (savory and sweet) as well as a cake to enjoy with afternoon tea.
very cute christmas cakes

Christmas Eve wasn't particularly exciting. Very low key. We did lots of errands before returning home and once we were home, we straightened up the house. There was some down time, but then I was back to work preparing Christmas Eve dinner! 

This year, at the request of my father, I make my now famous duck breasts. Easy and delicious! I am still working on getting my skin nice and crunchy, but I am getting closer with each trial. Despite the skin not being quite as crunchy as I wanted, my meat remained tender and flavorful. My duck was accompanied my garlic spinach (prepared by dad), oven roasted potatoes (prepared by me), and oven roasted squash (prepared by dad). Simple, no fuss meal, but very delicious!
After dinner, the true excitement began, when I realized that it was snowing! Hooray~! Sure, it was just a dusting and nothing substantial, but still, here it is Christmas Eve, and the outside was beginning to turn white. Huzzah! In the words of Irving Berlin and Bing Crosby, "I'm dreaming of a white christmas..." (I know that is corny...but please allow me this moment. :D)
The evening was made better with a selection of chocolate covered strawberries that we received as a gift from family friends. So delicious!
Before going to bed in preparation for Santa's visit, my family and I gathered for a major Christmas tradition: the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. I know that there are several versions of A Christmas Carol, but my famlily firmly believes that the George C. Scott version is THE BEST. It was made for TV in 1984 and since then, my dad has made it a tradition to watching it every year. Frankly, we have seen it so many times, we can act it out. In fact, we quote that movie ALL YEAR ROUND.

There is something about this version that is different from the rest, in my family's opinion. Perhaps its because George C. Scott isn't necessarily portrayed as a miser per say, but as a curmudgeon. He has a reason for his sourness, be it flawed. I think ultimately it's George C. Scott's superb portrayal of Scrooge that makes his version the best. Quoting my father, "George C. Scott can express with one facial expression, what it would take others actors to explain in a soliloquy. His 180 and embracement of the spirit of Christmas is truly moving and I get chocked up every time. I recommend that everyone watch this version of A Christmas Carol at least once in their lifetime. 
took this from google

Another Christmas Eve gone, now bring on Christmas Day! I hope Santa doesn't mind cigar and Scotch. I thought this would be a nice change from milk and cookies. Plus, it's cold out there! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life