Korean BBQ Date Night

I recently had the great pleasure of introducing my boyfriend [R] to Korean BBQ. He is very much a steak and spicy food kind of guy, yet he had never had Korean BBQ before. I had to remedy this. I took R to a Korean restaurant that I like called Don's Bogam (17 E 32nd St) and the feasting began. I like Don's Bogom because I think the restaurant's ambience is pleasant, the food is excellent quality and delicious, but most importantly, it has an amazing ventilation system. Ordering dinner was left to me, which I was more than happy to do, but I made sure to pick things that I thought R would like. 
Packed house
Quite the set up

It was my priority to order some galbi and bulgogi, since I find these meats delicious and my family always orders this. As soon as the galbi (short rib) was brought to the table, both our mouths started to water. As soon as our waiter began grilling the galbi, R and I were very eager to dig in. At one point, with the smell of the galbi wafting towards him, R had the biggest grin on his face. I snapped a picture and it's probably my favorite one of him that I have. Traditionally, galbi is wrapped in lettuce, covered with a spicy sauce, and eaten. I was more than excited for my galbi lettuce wrap. 
Gorgeous galbi (short rib)
Our waiter grilling the galbi
Can't wait to eat it!!!
Wrapping my galbi with lettuce

I ordered some bulgogi, but this bulgogi was not what I had expected. I'm used to a platter of thinly sliced marinaded beef, but this was more than that. In addition to the beef, there was mushrooms, onions, vermicelli noodles, and a broth --- reminiscent of the Japanese dish, sukiyaki. I was a bit puzzled, but excited to taste this bulgogi. I am pleased to report that it was very tasty. The broth was a little sweet, but overall, it was a great dish. 
Bulgogi with assorted vegetables and vermicelli noodles
So yummy!

Although we were getting full, I wanted to introduce R to one more dish and he was game. I was debating between a sundubu jjigae (Korean stew) or bibimbap (mixed rice dish). R told me that he isn't a great fan of tofu, which is in the sundubu, so I ordered a bibimbap. Since we had two beef dishes, we thought we'd try pork and as soon as I mentioned that it would be spicy, R's face lit up. The decision was made. The spicy pork bibimbap we ordered was delicious, however, I wish the remaining rice, which was being crisped by the piping hot stone bowl, was crispier. Otherwise, it was superb. 
Spicy pork bibimbap

Overall, I'd say R's first Korean BBQ experience was a success. We feasted like royalty and had such a great time. R got to enjoy a steak dinner --- his favorite food --- and I got to introduce him to a new type of cuisine. It was a win-win. Can't wait for our next Korean BBQ adventure! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life