The Orchid Show at the Bronx Botanical Gardens

Earlier this month, to celebrate my mother's birthday, my parents, some friends, and I visited the annual Orchid Show at the Bronx Botanical Gardens. This is a rather big event that the Botanical Gardens host, as it highlights an impressive and diverse collection of orchids from all over the world. This was my first time visiting the show, but my parents had been to the Botanical Gardens' previous orchid shows and had very positive things to say. 

I'll be honest, I'm not a really big plant person, despite the fact that my parents are. I don't have a green thumb, I don't really know flowers, but I do find them pretty --- that's about it. I will be at the dinner table and my parents will start rattling off plant names and I either tune out or wonder if they are just making these names up. Anyway, although I don't know much about orchids, I can appreciate how beautiful the flowers are and I had a grand time walking through the show with everyone.

Beautiful fountain in one of the conservatories
Mom, Dad, and our friends admiring the beautiful selection of orchids
The best part of the show was at the very end where there is an amazing wing exploding with orchids. My breath was taken away, it was so stunning! The colors, the smells, the shapes, the varieties --- it was really really gorgeous. I remember thinking to myself, I want something like this at my house!
It took us about an hour to see the entire Orchid show and I rather enjoyed it. I did not realize just how diverse the orchid family was and just how beautiful these flowers are! I also had a lot of fun hanging out with my parents, as well as the adorable two year old girl who was with us. She was super cute! What a wonderful way to kick off my mom's birthday weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life