Another Amazing Kyo Ya Dinner

Last weekend, my parents spent a long weekend in the city. As much as I'd love to say that they came to visit me, that is not the case. This past weekend, my father was attending his 30th medical school reunion! Amazing to think that he has been a doctor for that long. He was so excited for his reunion and looking forward to seeing his friends and former classmates. Before that whole event kicked off, we managed to meet up for a family dinner.

I know I've written about Kyo Ya many times before, but you know what? This is my favorite restaurant in Manhattan. I never tire of Kyo Ya. In fact, if money were no issue and I could only eat at one place for the rest of my life, it would probably be here. The ambience of the restaurant is relaxed and friendly, the staff are all delightful, and the cuisine is breathtaking. I always feel as though I have been transported back to Tokyo or Kyoto. The flavors are authentic, the ingredients are top notch, and the dishes are so beautiful. 

As always, we ordered a feast. I know that our style of ordering is probably not the norm, but it's so hard to choose only a few dishes! From vegetables to poultry to seafood to fried food to pork to noodles to miso soup and rice --- it was like a mini-banquet and we enjoyed every bite!
Gorgeous bottle of sake --- Chef Sono's recommendation
Sashimi masterpiece
Simmered eggplant with miyoga, ginger, and okra
Fried mackerel bones
Potato and gobo croquettes 
Seared duck breast with a demi-glace sauce
Spinach ohitashi with matsutake mushroom and katsuobushi
Grilled fish (can't remember what kind…)
Marinated mackerel "bo-zushi'
Traditional Japanese "dashi-maki tamago" (omelet) 
Fried sea scallop with a nori sauce 
Watercress salad with nori and dressing
Kurobuta kakuni (simmered pork's belly)
Simmered black cod with gobo, taro, and sugar snap peas
Ume-shiso soba with corn tempura
Matsutake and chicken kamadaki rice
Yummmmmmmmm!!!!
Black bean an mitsu
Shiso sorbet

One thing I love about fall --- it's matsutake season! Matsutake mushrooms are a Japanese delicacy and have been referred to as "Japanese Truffles." They are delicious, fragrant, and sadly, quite pricey. Since this is a truly seasonal treat, we indulged a bit and had two matsutake dishes. Both were delicious and my mouth is watering just thinking about the matsutake rice! Another triumph, Chef Sono!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life