Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Biscuits

I have always had a soft spot for biscuits. I love the flaky, golden brown outside and fluffy butter soft inside. Just thinking about a nice freshly baked biscuit is making my mouth water! This past weekend, I attempted to make "Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Biscuits." I thought, why not add a bit of pizazz to a delicious classic. 

I first baked these beauties last week, since they are meant to complement a chicken pot pie recipe my mother showed me. In this chicken pot pie variation, instead of using a pie crust, the top of the chicken mixture was covered with these yummy biscuits! I am delighted to report that both the chicken mixture AND the biscuits were a massive success!

Sadly, I was not paying attention, when I made the chicken filling, so I neglected to take photographs. Sorry! Next time I make this delicious dish, I'll be sure to snap photos so I can share. Until then, I WILL share the biscuit recipe, since I did photograph that.

These biscuits can be prepared in advance, which is great. They are super easy to make and bake. This past weekend, we were entertaining, so I prepared a double batch of biscuits the night before the party. Once the guests arrived, I just popped my pre-made and pre-cut biscuits into the oven -- no sweat and they were just as delicious! The recipe listed makes about 15 biscuits. 

Ingredients:
- 1 stick of butter (cut into 1/2 in cubes)
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives*
- 1 cup whipping cream

*We were out of chives, so I used some scallions from the garden
Directions:
1. Prepare the butter.
2. In a food mixer, combine the self rising flour and butter. Combine so that well mixed and your get a crumbly product.
3. Place the flour/butter mixture in a separate bowl. Add the cheddar cheese. 
4. Add bacon and chives to the bowl. Mix well.
5. Mix in the whipping cream. Make sure all of your ingredients combine. Mix until you get a reasonably sticky dough. 
6. Remove dough and shape into a sphere. Wrap in cling film and let sit in fridge to harden.
7. Once you or your dough is ready, knead and then roll out.
8.  Roll dough out to about 1/4 in thickness. Cut out biscuits with cutter (or whatever object you want to use).
9. Once you have your biscuits cut, you can either store in a container (like I did for later baking) or place on baking sheet and bake in oven. It's up to you. 
I'd suggest baking the biscuits for about 30 minutes at 300F or until golden brown. Be careful though. I've had instances where they look great, but are still somewhat gooey on the inside. I have found that if I suspect soft insides, but they look great, cover the biscuits with a bit of foil and let bake longer.
My chicken pot pie topped with the cheddar, bacon, and chive biscuits

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life