Stuffed Red Peppers

For dinner tonight, I tried my hand at stuffed peppers. I don't really know why, but I have been thinking about stuffed peppers for almost a week. I literally have no idea. Perhaps my subconscious was trying to tell me something? Where's good 'ol Sigmund Freud when I need him...on second thought, perhaps it's better that he is not around. I shudder to think about what he'd say. Probably something to do with the Elektra complex or some sort of...you know what. Not gonna go there.

Right, so this delicious and easy meal is also quite healthy. (I like to think.) Check out my recipe below!

Ingredients:
- 4 peppers (your choice as to color. I really like red peppers, so I did red), tops removed and inside cleaned out
- 1 extra pepper, chopped (this is optional. I just really like peppers, so I wanted to add some more)
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- salt/pepper, to taste
- other dry spices of your choice

1. Cook your rice. Follow the instructions of the bag/box. You can cook this ahead of time if you'd like. It's up to you.

2. Prepare the peppers. Cut off the tops. If you want to make sure they can stand on their own, trimming the bottom, so that they're flat isn't such a bad idea. It would be a waste to simply throw away the stops, so if there are still any viable parts left, chop those up. This is why I suggest another pepper, in case you feel that you want more.

3. Chop the onion. In a pan, heat some olive oil. Put the garlic in the pan first. After a minute or so, add the peppers and onions. To the pan. Let them cook for about 5 minutes, until soft, but not brown. Remove the peppers and onions from the pan.

4. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking pan with aluminum foil. I would try to put the peppers in a container that will hold them snug. Make sure to spray with cooking spray.

5. Add more olive oil to the pan and this time add the ground beef. You just want to brown the meat. About 3-5 minutes. Return the peppers/onions to the pan. Add the rice. Mix well and let cook. After a few minutes, add a tablespoon or two of parmesan cheese. Mix well.

6. Spoon the filling into the peppers. Don't be afraid to pack it in there! As the peppers cook, the inner contents may shrink a bit.

7. Let the peppers cook in the oven for about 30 minutes. Take the peppers out and add a bit more parmesan cheese to the top. You can also use any other cheese of your choice. Return the peppers to the oven for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and golden.

8. Serve peppers hot.


Sautéing my peppers and onions. In the back, my brown rice and my ground beef is waiting to be cooked. (I am also watching some Monty Python.)

Mixing everything together

The peppers are stuffed and ready for the oven

Voila! Delicious! Look at that filling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life