Upscale Dining at the Modern

A couple Tuesday nights ago, my family and I enjoyed a very posh dinner at The Modern, which is located next to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). We have been long-time fans of the Modern and try to dine here as often as we can.

Being attached to the MoMA, aesthetically, the Modern is gorgeous. It's very sleek and sophisticated, yet at times the decor can be quite funky. Makes sense for an institution that champions modern art. The staff at the Modern has to be the friendliest and possibly the most efficient team we have encountered at an NYC restaurant. Everyone's manners are always impeccable and the waitstaff are always upbeat and personable -- they are a pleasure to chat with. Most important of all though, is the food, which is not only gorgeous, but superb. We have never had a bad meal yet!

We started dinner with a round of cocktails. As a family, we all ordered a "Blood and Sand," which is a family favorite. This old school cocktail is a Scotch based drink that also makes use of sweet vermouth, cherry liqueur, and orange juice. (There may be some variations here and there, but that's the gist of it.) This cocktail dates back to the 1920s and was created to promote the 1922 bullfighter film Blood and Sand, which starred Rudolph Valentino. The red color of the cocktail was supposed to represent blood. Although the cocktail made it's debut in 1922, it's first known appearance in a book was in the 1930 Savoy Cocktail book. My dad discovered this drink a couple years ago at a whiskey convention, introduced my mother and I to it, and we've been drinking it ever since. It's our signature family cocktail.
Very cute selection of house baked breads

Our meal started with an amuse-buche of pea soup, served with smoked trout and some crispy bread ring. The soup was unbelievably smooth and very smoky. Actually, there was a dual smokiness, some from the soup and some from the trout. I also loved the rich green color. So stunning! Absolutely loved this dish.
At the Modern, you have the option of the three course meal or the four course meal. With so many delicious things to taste and the portions being quite small, we all opted for the four course menu. For my first course, I enjoyed the "Lobster Marinated in Vadouvan Spices with Crispy Grains and Carrots." This
For my next course, I ordered something rather indulgent and luxurious -- "Foie Gras Tart with Sour Cherries and Fennel." Ok, yes, I recognize that foie gras is cruel and that many people are appalled by it, but I love it. I love the creaminess, the flavor, and the richness of the dish. You don't need a lot to be satisfied, which is great. The tartness of the cherries and the vinegary taste of the fennel really complimented the rich foie gras. I loved every mouthful.
For my third course, I ordered the "Blanquette of Suckling Pig with Baby Turnips and Shallots." I actually wanted to order the slow cooked saddle of lamb, however everyone at the table ordered that, so I felt that I should try something different. This dish was tasty, but not my absolute favorite. It was very heavy, rich, and creamy -- I felt a little sick afterwards since I don't really like overly creamy foods. Creaminess aside, the meat was very tender and flavorful.
Between meals, we were offered a delightful and adorable palate cleanser. As we waited for our desserts, the four of us enjoyed a lemon and rosemary ice cream cone. It was incredibly refreshing.
I ended my dinner with the pina colada cake served with pineapple ice cream. I love pina coladas and i loved this dessert. I was worried that it might be too rich or too sweet, but it was neither. It really did taste of coconut and pineapple, but it wasn't overwhelming! The cake was nice and warm, and very tender. Yum, yum, yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life