Russell Howard Comes To New York City

Last Monday night, I had the great pleasure of seeing one of my all time favorite comedians --- Russell Howard --- perform his stand up. Russell Howard is an English comedian and I've been a fan of his for a couple years now. In the UK, he is a very well known personality and frequently appears on TV.

I was first introduced to Russell Howard in 2009, when living and studying in London. He was a regular panelist on a comedy news show called "Mock the Week" and he was brilliant on it! I loved his insight and his on-the-spot stand up bits. He later left that show to start his own comedic news show called "Russell Howard's Good News." On this show, Howard searches the globe for funny news stories and basically takes the piss. It's hilarious and amazing. I can't get enough!
(taken from google)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, Russell Howard isn't super well known in the USA. I mean, I'm sure he has fans here, but I think that's only amongst Anglophiles or fans of British comedy. 

Back in May, I was on my Facebook and I saw an advert for Russell Howard's American comedy tour.  I got very excited because he doesn't normally tour in the USA and to see that he was going to be in Manhattan --- it was too good to be true! I immediately bought tickets for myself, my boyfriend, and my parents (who are also RH fans). 

Before the show, the four of us enjoyed a lovely Italian dinner before heading over to the Gramercy Theatre. This was my first comedy show and I was beyond excited. The venue was very intimate and low key, with very cool lighting. 
Before Russell Howard took the stage, he had a warm up comic, who was quite funny. He was a New York native and although I wasn't familiar with his career, his stand up was very entertaining. He certainly had me laughing!

From the moment Russell Howard took the stage, and he made us wait nearly 45 minutes, I was hooked. I could not stop laughing. Russell Howard's set lasted about 90 minutes and his jokes were so quick. He talked about anything from sex to politics to religion to his own personal experiences. I loved every single second. Howard is also really big on audience participation, so he had a lot of fun chatting with the audience, getting to know them and making jokes at their expense. It was glorious.
Russell Howard (sadly, my camera white washed him) 

Russell Howard's NYC show was PHENOMENAL. He was just as hilarious in person, as he is on TV and on YouTube. From start to finish, I could not stop laughing. My only regret is that the show was only 90 minutes and it had to end. I could've listened to him all night and day! It was such a treat to see Russell Howard live and I hope to see him many more times! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life