God's Own Junkyard: Magical Land of Old, Flashy, and Really Cool Neon Signs

A few weekends ago, I ventured out to Walthamstow Central to visit "God's Own Junkyard." I read about this place on Buzzfeed and was really intrigued. Having lived in London now for almost a year, having lived in this city for a few months at a time in the past, and having vacationed here several times over the past decade, I thought I'd seen nearly everything London had to offer. Boy, was I wrong!

To quote the Buzzfeed article: 
Tucked into an East London industrial estate, a 10-minute walk from Walthamstow station, God's Own Junkyard is a shrine to the art of neon sign-making, featuring hundreds of originals and vintage designs. For fans of neon, it's like going to church. 

The collection was started by Chris Bracey, a graphic designer who joined his father's neon company in the 1970s and started making custom signs for the sex shops of Soho -- he once told the BBC he did "99% of every sex establishment in Soho for 20 years. 

Hollywood soon came calling, and since the mid '80s the Braceys have worked with filmmakers such as Stanley Kubrick, Time Burton, and Christopher Nolan, on films including Eyes Wide Shut, The Dark Knight, and Captain American: The First Avenger. 

And it's not just films. Among the collection are dozens of other commissions: There's a neon British flag from a Kate Moss Rimmel ad, and a giant red X from Selfridges' window display, a collaboration with photographer David LaChapelle. 

I won't post the whole article here, but if you want to read the rest of it, please click here. I just wanted to give you a bit of background and context. 
I had a blast wandering through this amazing space! Every where you look, there was something so interesting and mesmerizing to look at. I couldn't stop taking photographs! So delighted that I stumbled upon this little gem, hidden away in East London. I've posted my pictures below. 
God's Own Junkyard is not necessarily as big as my pictures may lead you to believe, but there is A LOT to see. There is even a cafe inside! You can just hang out, grab a drink and/or something to eat, and just bathe in the glorious neon glow of the numerous signs!

I spent about 30 minutes walking around, but I almost felt like Alice, having just tumbled down the rabbit hole. This place is a little surreal, but endlessly entertaining. It is a little off the beat and path -- you sort of have to wander into the suburbs and then into a parking lot to access God's Own Junkyard -- but it's well worth it! If you want to do something fun and very different in London, I highly recommend going here! 
Very psychedelic and groovy cow outside the entrance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life