Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal


School may be out for the summer for most, but not me. As I mentioned earlier, for 3 months, I will be studying organic chemistry. Sure, it's not as nice as exploring London or eating my way around Tokyo, but it's actually not too bad. Sure, I'm insanely busy and  sometimes don't even have time to eat, but I'm going to let you in on a little secret...I'm not completely miserable. I absolutely hate lab and I hate preparing for lab and I hate writing the lab reports (mostly because its time consuming to a point that it is a waste of time), but organic chemistry itself, I really really enjoy. What a shocker. It's very logical and visually oriented, with no math. Perfect for me! Unlike calculus or general chemistry, this stuff makes sense and I'm actually good at it!

Anyway, enough of that. So, you've probably heard people say, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." How true. With Monday & Wednesday being 9-5 days, I need to make sure that I am energized and not starving. For this task, I have enlisted my slow cooker.

To keep me feeling full through lecture and through most of recitation, I have been enjoying my "Apple Cinnamon Slow Cooker Oatmeal." It's sort of like eating apple pie in the morning, which is fantastic! Since it is made with Irish Steel Cut Oats, the carbohydrate is slow releasing, so I stay fuller longer! I also like to add ground flax seed to the mix, which is great for the digestive system. Let's just say it keeps your bowels moving and doing their job...

Anyway, this recipe usually makes enough to last me the week (Monday- Thursday), which is another benefit. It's super easy and takes about 10 min to put together, so it can be easily done the night before school or work. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

Now, to keep me going during

Ingredients:
- 2 apples (your choice), peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1.5 cup milk (your choice --- I use 2%)
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package flax powder (optional) 
- maple syrup (optional)

Directions: 
1.    Measure out your ingredients.

2.    Peel and chop the apples into bite sized pieces.
3.    Mix everything together in the slow cooker.
4.    Cook for AT LEAST 6 hours at LOW. I generally let it run overnight.

Now, when you wake up, you awake to the smell of delicious apple pie...(well, almost)
Delicious!
* sometime I drizzle a bit of maple syrup on my oatmeal when I'm craving something a bit sweeter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life