Thanksgiving Feast 2012

So I know that this is almost a month late, but I still wanted to share my Thanksgiving with you all, since it was quite pleasant. Every year, for pretty much as long as I can remember, my parents host Thanksgiving. It usually consists of family and close friends, who are mostly Japanese. 
The table is set and ready to go

I love Thanksgiving because it brings us together with friends and family, but also, the food is freaking delicious! My parents go all out. I do my best to help out --- play the role of sous chef or make desserts --- but this year I was unable to participate substantially because of my NYU classes. They had me working to the very last minute!

Every year, my dad makes two turkeys. One turkey we roast in the traditional manner and the second, my dad fries in his electric turkey fryer. He loves this contraption. It also makes a really deliciously moist and crunchy skinned turkey. If you haven't tried a fried turkey before, I recommend that you do! Perhaps you'll just have to come to my house for Thanksgiving. ;D
preparing and stuffing the oven roast turkey
Dad's turkey fryer is set and ready to go!

Thanksgiving began around 4 pm. We invited my dad's long lost cousin ("I"), my dad's best friend from medical school and his family ("L" Family), and my mom's good friend ("K") and her husband, whom I adore, "B."A rather small crowd this year, but still, we had a great time!

The appetizers were quite delicious. The L Family brought mini baked bries, bacon wrapped pretzels, and cooked shrimp cocktail. My mom made her signature "caviar pie." Essentially, it's chopped onions, egg salad, cream cheese, and caviar --- all layered together. So delicious and a favorite at parties! We also had pate and cheese present.  My mom's friend "K" made a ceviche of sorts too.
Now, for the main event: DINNER. My parents really went all out. Two turkeys, the most delicious stuffing in the world, and a large variety of side dishes. 
Our roasted turkey, cooked to perfection. Moist meet and crispy skin. 
As a surgeon, my dad's favorite part of Thanksgiving is carving the turkey. Such surgical precision. He has an audience this year and was teaching my how to cleanly and anatomically cut a turkey. I guess it will be my turn next year! 
The fried turkey
The spread
Dad has arranged the sliced fried turkey
Mom's sauteed string beans with red onions and pine nuts
Mom's sauteed butternut squash with bacon and spinach
Mom's oven roasted cauliflower with pears and walnuts
Beautifully arranged plate of roasted turkey
For me, the most delicious part of Thanksgiving is my mom's stuffing. I know that everyone says that their stuffing is the best, but I challenge you all! This stuffing is mind blowing. I could just eat this for Thanksgiving and be perfectly content. 
Mom's bourbon yams
My very full plate

As much as I love dinner, dessert is just as important too! My mom again, went all out. "Cousin I" also made one of his cheesecakes, but mom definitely outdid herself. How she had time to bake these goodies, cook dinner, and plan Thanksgiving...I have no idea!
Dessert time
Mom's apple cake
Mom's pecan pie
Cousin I's Cheesecake. I think this was Bailey's and chocolate chips...or something like that
Mom's pumpkin cookies.
These are to die for. Once I start, I can't stop eating them! 
Cleanup was a bit of a pain, but my goodness, we had a mountain of leftovers to enjoy for several days! Yum yum yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life