Matinee of "Richard II" at the Globe Theater

A few weekends ago, I decided to spend a gorgeous afternoon at the Globe Theater seeing Richard II. I am a fan of Shakespeare and I very much enjoy seeing his plays performed at the Globe Theater. When I first studied in London in 2009, I attended my first Globe production, which was As You Like It. It was phenomenal. I couldn't stop laughing and I was just blown away by the energy emanating from the actors. It was a really wonderful experience and from that moment on, I vowed to see as many productions here as I could.

Two summers ago, when I was in London with my parents, I convinced them to see Titus Andronicus at the Globe Theater. On this occasion, I bought seated tickets, rather that standing groundling tickets. Whereas As You Like It is a comedy, Titus Andronicus is a very dark tragedy. Although very violent and macabre, I loved this production of Titus Andronicus and was delighted that my parents were able to experience theater at the Globe. (Neither had been before) So, with these past two experiences under my belt, getting back to the Globe was one of my top priorities whilst in London.

I knew that my flat was quite close to the Globe Theater, but I didn't realize just how close -- a mere 10 minute straight shot walk. Since I had bought a £5 (actually £7.50, since there is a £2.50 processing fee) groundling ticket, I felt it wise to arrive early and start queuing for a good spot. I arrived about 1 hour early and was a little surprised to see that the line was already quite long. Clearly, I wasn't the only one with this plan. Luckily, the weather was gorgeous (cool 60F with no humidity and sunny) and I had my book with me. I got on line, sat down, and just read my book until it was time to go into the theater.
My ticket to Richard II
People already queuing to get into the Globe Theater

It's funny, even though I'm a historian, I've never read/seen any of Shakespeare's histories. I dunno, I think it's that a bit ironic. When I was on the Globe Theater website, I was a bit skeptical about the productions. The two plays that I could see were Richard II and Measure for Measure. Of course, I've heard of both plays, but I've never read either. Part of me thought, "I don't know anything about these plays. Do I really want to go?", but then my better sense of judgement chimed in and told me, "You've loved what you've seen at the Globe. Who cares if you don't know these plays? I'm sure they will be stellar." After several moments of contemplation, I bought tickets to both Richard II and Measure for Measure. (I'll write about the latter after I've seen it). 

I didn't want to go into totally oblivious, so before attending Richard II, I did some basic reading on the internet, just to get a sense of the nature of the play. I also purchased a program when I got to the Globe, which I thought would make a nice souvenir. In addition to reading my book, I also made sure to read through the program whilst I waited in line. 
After about a 45 minute wait, we were finally allowed to enter the Globe. It was a bit of a mad dash, since everyone wanted the perfect spot. I was lucky enough to find a place at the front of the stage --- right up against it! It was a really great spot. From where I was positioned, I was able to see everything and it was really cool to be able to crane my neck up and have an actor literally right in front of me, looming over me!
Gorgeous ceiling
Right against the stage
Panoramic view of the stage from where I was standing
Just to give you a sense of the rest of the theater

For those of you, like me, who are unfamiliar with the story of Richard II, here is the summary that I found Sparknotes.com: 

Richard II, written around 1595, is the first play in Shakespeare's second "history tetralogy," a series of four plays that chronicles the rise of the house of Lancaster to the British throne. Richard II, set around the year 1398, traces the fall from power of the last king of the house of Plantagenet, Richard II, and his replacement by the first Lancaster king, Henry IV (Henry Bolingbroke). Richard II, who ascended to the throne as a young man, is a regal and stately figure, but he is wasteful in his spending habits, unwise in his choice of counselors, and detached form his country and its common people. He spends too much of his time pursuing the latest Italian fashions, spending money on his close friends, and raising taxes to fund his pet wars in Ireland and elsewhere. When he begins to "rent out" parcels of English land to certain wealthy noblemen in order to raise funds for one of his wars, and seizes the lands and money of a recently deceased and much respected uncle to help fill his coffers, both the commoners and the king's noblemen decided that Richard has gone too far.

Obviously, there is a bit more to it than that, but I don't want to give too much away. Still, quite the drama and I enjoyed every second of it! 
It's showtime and the theater is PACKED!

As expected, the Globe's production of Richard II was stellar. Charles Edwards starred as Richard II and I thought he was excellent. I know Edwards from a selection of film and television shows including: Downton Abbey, Holy Flying Circus, and Arthur & George. Granted, this was my first exposure to Richard II -- I haven't seen the David Tennant or Ben Whishaw version of Richard II -- but as far as I could tell, he played it well. He was able to seamlessly move from comical or serious to arrogant to defeated. Once he started, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. 
Charles Edwards as King Richard II 
[taken from Globe Theater website]
Charles Edwards as Richard II and David Sturzaker as Bolingbroke (the King's cousin)
[taken from google]

In fact, I have to praise the whole cast of Richard II because everyone was really superb. I am always impressed by the ways in which the cast can really bring the text to life. This is probably a very obvious observation, but I much prefer seeing Shakespeare vs reading his plays. When you see Shakespeare it's such a treat because you can see it in context, if that makes sense? 

Shakespeare's writings, though beautiful, they were written in the late 16th century/early 17th century, so he's not using common vernacular of the 21st century. Because of this I always find that I miss jokes occasionally or sometimes I have a harder time understanding what he is saying when I read his plays. I never have this problem when I watch Shakespeare. Watching the actors read the lines, but speak naturally as if this is normal everyday conversation. Their facial expressions, their body language… suddenly it's like they are speaking modern English and it all makes sense to me. That's exactly how I felt watching Richard II
Most of the cast of Richard II
[taken from google]

After nearly 3 hours of standing, my legs ached, but it was very worthwhile. I absolutely loved the Globe Theater's production of Richard II and I am so happy that I had the chance to see it! Although it's closing on October 17th, if you have the chance to check it out, I highly recommend it!!!!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life