Easy (and Light) Spaghetti Carbonara

My boyfriend works in the evenings and due to his job, he orders dinner every night. We talk a lot and at some point in the evening, I inevitably ask "what are you ordering from seamless tonight?" I know he doesn't get a lot of home cooked meals, so I've been trying to make an effort to cook nice meals that he will enjoy. 

This past weekend, I wanted to do something a little bit special and try a new recipe. In an effort to lose weight, I have been avoiding pasta, but I made an exception this weekend. My boyfriend loves pasta and I know he loves carbonara. I've never been a fan, because I've always found this dish heavy or creamy, but I was happy to find a recipe that looked light and delicious! 

Not only was this pasta very easy to make, it was really really tasty! It was also wonderful to see how happy he was to have a meal that wasn't delivered by seamless. He seemed to enjoy my pasta -- he had two helpings -- and he told me it was really good. All things I like to hear! Makes me think of that saying: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.  Well, lucky for him, I love to cook and I love seeing him so satisfied. 

I recommend this recipe. It's a great weeknight dinner, since it's fast and easy to prepare, but you can enjoy it whenever. You can also add some veggies, if you want, to made it a bit healthier. This is something that I will be keeping in my repertoire! 

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 6 strips of bacon or pancetta 
(I used an entire package of bacon, but it was a small package)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced OR 1 tbsp pre-chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pasta water
Directions:
1. Cook your pasta.
2. Slice your bacon into small pieces.
3. In a very hot pan, add the bacon. Cook until brown and crispy.
4. While the bacon is cooking, watch the pasta. Once it's done, drain it, BUT be sure to save at least a 1/2 cup of the pasta water!
5. Once the bacon is cooked, add the garlic. 
6. Once the garlic is aromatic, add the pasta and mix well. 
7. Add parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper --- to taste. Mix well. 
8. Once mixed, add the two egg yolks. Mix well. 
9. Add the pasta water and mix.

10. Once all of the ingredients are evenly mixed, serve immediately. 
Voila! Easy and light spaghetti carbonara!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life