How Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon Ate Their Way Around Northern England and Italy

A few weeks ago, my mother and I went to see The Trip to Italy starring British comedians Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. We were excited to see this movie for many reasons. A) we are both avid foodies, B) we love British comedy (and I have a particular soft spot for Rob Brydon), and C) we watched the first film back in 2010.

Before I jump into my thoughts regarding The Trip to Italy, let's back track and talk about the first film, which is simply titled: The Trip.
To quote Wikipedia: "The Trip is a 2010 British television sitcom series directed by Michael Winterbottom, starring Steven Coogan and Rob Brydon as fictionalized versions of themselves on a restaurant tour of Northern England." Although The Trip aired as a TV series in the UK, in the USA, is was released as a feature film. (Click here for the trailer.)

In The Trip, Coogan and Brydon visit and dine at: The Inn at Whitewell (Lancashire), L'Enclume (Cumbria), Holbeck Ghyll (Cumbria), Hipping Hall (border of Lancashire/Cumbria/North Yorkshire), The Yorke Arms (North Yorkshire), and The Angel at Hetton (North Yorkshire). At each location, the two comedians try and critique the cuisine, in between moments of bickering and celebrity impressions.
I have mixed feeling about this film. I think the scenery of the Lake district is absolutely stunning,  the food looked delicious, and Rob Brydon was hilarious --- but Steven Coogan sort of killed the film for me. I've never been a massive Steve Coogan fan and this film didn't help. I recognize that he was playing a fictionalized version of himself, but I found him annoying, pretentious, arrogant, and frankly, really really depressing. 

In this film, Coogan is very cynical and complains about how he wants to "make it" in American cinema, but is unable to. He complains about his career in Britain and in the USA and is critical of Brydon's career. Clearly, someone is having a massive mid-life crisis. In my opinion, Coogan spends about 75% of the film whining, which after a while gets really old. Rob Brydon on the other hand was very upbeat and enthusiastic. One might call him "pathologically happy." 

One massive recurring theme in this film, beside the food --- CELEBRITY IMPRESSIONS. These two love impersonating celebrities. Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman…no one was safe!

Overall, I'd say The Trip is "okay." I wouldn't call it the best film I've ever seen. I love the food scenes and I laughed at the impressions, but Steven Coogan's depressing plot line makes this film a little bit painful, at least for me. If he would just lighten up a bit, I think the film would be so much better. 

That said, I'd love to recreate their road trip and visit the places they visited! After visiting the North of England this past summer, I'm itching to get back and explore some more!
~~~~~
Four years later, Coogan and Brydon reunited to film a second series of The Trip, except for this series, the duo went abroad. Like The Trip, in the UK, this new show aired as a television program, but in the US, it was released as a film. In The Trip to Italy, in addition to eating their way around Italy, Coogan and Brydon attempt to recreate the Grand Tour of famous 19th century English poets, including Byron and Shelley.
In Italy, Coogan and Brydon visit and dine at: Il Cenobio dei Dogi (Camogli), Da Giovanni (San Fruttuoso), La Suvera (Pievescola), Hotel Locarno (Rome), Villa Cimbrone (Ravello), and Il Riccio (Capri). As they eat their way across the country, the duo play tourist and visit famous sites, including the former residences of famed Britons and local attractions.
Much like the previous series, the meals are filled with conversation, banter, food critiques, and of course, CELEBRITY IMPRESSIONS! There are some new impressions: Parkinson, Humphrey Bogart, Tom Hardy (as Bane from The Dark Knight Rises), which were quite funny, though the Bane impersonation battle went on for farrrr too long in my opinion. Of course, Michael Caine, Woody Allen, Al Pacino, and Sean Connery also returned to The Trip to Italy. 

One thing that both The Trip and The Trip to Italy has taught me is that both Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon seemed to be obsessed with Michael Caine. Like, REALLY OBSESSED. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Michael Caine should be floored. I think Coogan and Brydon have proved themselves to be his #1 fans!!! 
It looks like the boys had a pretty good time exploring the sites and flavors of Italy. There seemed to have been a lot of pasta eaten, as well as an array of other splendid looking dishes. I was rather jealous of what Coogan and Brydon experienced! I wished I was there visiting beautiful islands, relaxing in stunning hotels, and stuffing myself with delicious Italian cuisine. 
Although the Italian scenery was breathtaking and the food looked delicious, again, this film just didn't do it for me. I wanted to love this film, but I didn't. Again, it was the personal story lines that killed it for me. Coogan wasn't nearly as depressing as the first film, but he still dragged a bit, in my opinion. In this film, he was working through personal issues with his career (still) and his son. The Rob Brydon plot line, which had him cheat on his wife really annoyed me. I love Brydon and I love his funny wholesomeness and this side of him seemed so out of character. Again, I recognize that in these films, the comedians play fictionalized versions of themselves, but the whole infidelity plot line just didn't sit well with me. I found it really awkward.

My favorite moment in The Trip to Italy was when Coogan and Brydon visit Pompeii. In this moment, Brydon has a comedic conversation with one of the unfortunate residents of Pompeii. It's a very Smegel/Gollum-like schizophrenic conversation, but Brydon employs his famous "small man trapped in a box" impression, when he speaks as the preserved Pompeii resident. I was nearly in tears, I laughed so hard. This isn't a clip from the film, but here is Rob Brydon doing the "small mall trapped in a box"
Perhaps I'm being overly critical, but in my opinion, both The Trip and The Trip to Italy are simply "ok"films. Not the greatest things in the world. Yes, they have moments of humor, the road trips look amazing, and the food mouthwatering, but the personal plot lines just don't do it for me. I find Coogan and Brydon's personal issues either boring and/or depressing and detract from the film. Although I get really into the food scenes, I find myself twiddling my thumbs during the existential moments. I also thought that some of the "impressions battles" lasted a bit too long and needed toning down. 

The chemistry between Coogan and Brydon always confuses me. Are they friends? Are they enemies? Are they frenemies? Do they have chemistry? What would it be like if they were nicer to each other. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to truly appreciate this film, but I know what I like. I love food and I love British comedy, but I don't like being depressed --- especially when I am watching a film that combines two things I love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life