Back-to-Back Meals at Coyote Flaco

A few weekends ago, I was spending time with my parents at our cabin in upstate NY. We were busy running errands and stopped into our local Mexican restaurant for dinner. My parents and I don't eat Mexican food very often, so this was a bit out of the ordinary for us. 

Coyote Flaco is about a 10 minute drive from our cabin and it's almost always packed. Personally, this was my first time dining at Coyote Flaco, but I've always heard positive things about this place.
The bar
By the time my parents and I arrived for dinner, it was late in the evening and we were ravenous. We descended upon the tortilla chips and salsa like locusts! 
We also decided to end the evening with a pitcher of yummy sangria

For starters, my parents and I shared an order of "tequila wings" and the chile relleno. The tequila wings were basically buffalo chicken wings and they were very tasty! The chile relleno was a ground beef and cheese stuffed poblano pepper. I really enjoyed this dish. I love stuffed peppers and this was so delicious! The meat was perfectly seasoned and the pepper was so soft!
Tequila Wings
Chile Relleno

As I mentioned earlier, my parents and I don't normally eat Mexican food, so deciphering the menu was a bit of a challenge. We knew for the most part what the dishes were (taco, enchilada, etc…), but it was the words like, Oaxacas or chicanga, which we were confused about. Still, we managed and order an array of dishes. 

My mother ordered the vegetarian enchiladas suizas, whilst I ordered the enchiladas Oaxacas. Our dishes were essentially identical except my dish has meat and was topped with a mole sauce. Our enchiladas were tasty, but I wouldn't say that my mind was blown.
Enchilada Suizas
Enchilada Oaxaca

My dad ordered the quesadilla Linda. Honestly, I think I preferred his quesadilla the most. This dish was very simple and quite delicious!
Quesadilla Linda

The next day, despite dining here the night before, we returned to Coyote Flaco for lunch with friends. This time, we were a much bigger group, and our friends were more knowledgable about Mexican cooking that we were. 

For starters, we order several seasoned corn on the cob, nachos, and chile relleno. The corn on the cob was a bit of a surprise, since I've never seen corn prepared like this. Normally, when I eat corn, it's just plain or with butter, but this was different. This was grilled, lathered in cheese, and other goodies --- and it was delicious! 
For lunch, we all seemed to order the same thing: the charro combo. This combination consisted of a chichanga and an enchilada. Until this meal, I was unsure as to what a "chichanga" was. I quickly learned that it essentially a Mexican egg roll. It's like someone took a burrito and deep fried it. Did I feel a bit ill after eating it? Yes. What is totally delicious? Absolutely!
Our Mexican lunch feast ended with a round of desserts. Creme brule, tres leche, apple turnover, and chocolate pudding. I have a particular soft spot for tres leches cake, so when I saw it on the menu, it was a no brainer.

Coyote Flaco's tres leches cake was acceptable. Not the best I've ever eaten, but it gets the job done. The cake was a bit dry, but it wasn't too sweet, which is always excellent, in my book.

So, although Mexican food is not my favorite cuisine, I enjoyed my meals at Coyote Flaco. I like the relaxed environment of the restaurant and I thought the food was pretty good. I wouldn't say that I was blown away by Coyote Flaco, but that could be more of a personal preference, rather than a reflection on the restaurant. After two back to back meals here, I don't know that I'll be running back, but when I do return, I will certainly order the chile relleno and chichango again! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life