The Origins of My Love Obsession with Cooking: Gordon Ramsay

In 2009, I spent a semester in London. While I was there, I was lucky enough to go to a Gordon Ramsay book signing and meet my culinary idol! 
Ok, so anyone who knows me knows that I am OBSESSED with Chef Gordon Ramsay. When I tell people about how much I worship this man, I get a lot of surprised looks and people always say, "how can you like him? He's such an a**hole!" I don't care what ANYONE says about him. He is a culinary genius and well, frankly, the reason why I began to cook.

As I mentioned in my personal blurb, a few years ago, when my mom went to Japan, I decided to step up to the plate. All of my life, my parents cooked my meals, especially mom. She is a fantastic chef, so I guess I always thought, "what's the point? My food will never be as good. She is the master." Well, I had no choice when she left.

It was just me and dad and we had three choice. 1) live off take away, 2) force dad to cook at 9 pm after seeing 60+ patients, or 3) try my hand at cooking. I decided on the later. I mean, millions of people cook, how hard could it be? That's when I met Gordon Ramsay.

I am an avid Anglophile and am always watching BBC America. That's where I discovered "F-Word." This is Gordon's fantastic cooking show. It was love at first sight. --- I should say, I've always loved eating and watching food, I just never had an inclination to cook ---. For the entire week that mom was away, I would watch F-Word, decide on a menu, go food shopping, and then spend the rest of the day making elaborate meals. (desserts too!)

Dad was gobsmacked. The first night I made dinner, his jaw dropped. He kept saying that he wasn't speechless and shocked because I attempted to cook, but rather, the fact that the food tasted amazing really impressed him. I mean, I was about 20 and hadn't even boiled an egg before and now I'm recreating Gordon Ramsay dishes to the T.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is, Chef Ramsay, I love and adore you. Thank you for showing me that I CAN cook and thank you for helping me discover how much I love cooking.

My cookbook collection. I hope it continues to grow! I also have a bunch of his DVDs at home. 
My personalized copy of "World Kitchen" that he signed in London at his book signing.
This is one of my prized possessions. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life