Adventures in Bread Baking: Crusty Round Country Loaf

Over the past month, I have been binge-watching "The Great British Bake Off." I know that I'm probably late to the game, but hey, I got there in the end. Like many people who watch the show, I am OBSESSED. I am consistently excited by the recipes and challenges completed in each episode, but I'm especially impressed by the skill of the bakers. I've always loved to bake, but these guys REALLY love to bake -- and they're exceptionally good it! (For the most part...) 

Anyway, this post isn't about "The Great British Bake-Off" -- although if anyone wants to chat about it, I'm always game! No, this post if about how I was inspired to challenge myself after watching many episodes of "The Great British Bake-Off." 

For years, I've always wanted to bake my own bread, but was too intimidated to do so. For some reason, the idea of using yeast and having to let it sit and double in size and such really intimidated me. In retrospect, it's quite silly, I know. That said, after watching Paul Hollywood talk about bread making and watching all of the bakers on "Bake-Off" produce beautiful loaves, I knew it was time for me to finally bake some bread. 

Having never done this before, I decided to set the bar low and go for an easy bread making recipe. For this task, I consulted google and found a New York Times recipe for an easy crusty round country loaf. The recipe looked simple enough and the picture of the final loaf looked delicious. I thought, "why not?" 

I could not have picked a more perfect beginner recipe. Not only was the bread super easy to make, it came out so delicious! Nice crunchy outside with a light fluffy inside. I couldn't stop eating it. My success also gave me a confidence boost and has inspired me to try making other kinds of breads. 

With all that, I want to share with you the amazing NYT recipe. I highly recommend this recipe and I've provided my photographed step-by-step instructions here. This loaf is great for toast, baked cheesy breads, and parties! 

Note: This recipe makes enough dough for FOUR loaves of bread and each loaf can be sliced into about 12 slices, depending on how you cut it. 

Ingredients: 
- 1.5 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 6.5 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
(1) In a large bowl, mix yeast and salt with water. 

(2) Stir in flour. Make sure there are no dry patches and everything is well mixed.
Note: the dough will be loose.

(3) Cover dough with an airtight lid. Personally, I used cling film and it was just fine. 
Let the dough rise for 2-5 hours; until it has about doubled in size. 

(4) When your dough has doubled in size, get ready to bake!
Note: If you're not ready to bake, you can keep the dough covered and refrigerated for up to two weeks. 

    (5) Place your dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4 pieces - about grapefruit size. Turn dough out on floured surface to create a rounded top and flat bottom. 

    (6) Grease a rounded baking pan (I used Pam). Let the dough rest in the pan for about 40 min. (Let rest for 1 hour if the dough can from the fridge). 
    While you're waiting, preheat your oven to 450F. 

      (7) Once your oven is hot and the 40 min has passed, place bread in oven for 30 minutes and/or until the top has turned a deep golden brown. Also, when you bake, be sure to add a baking dish filled with about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the oven. This will help the crust bake.

      (8) Once 30 minutes have passed, your bread should be beautifully baked! Allow your bread to cool completely before diving in. 
      Bon Appetit! 

      Comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

      Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

      Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life