NT Live: The Best of British Theater in New York City!


So, before the semester got too crazy, I thought I would indulge myself with an evening of culture. I really enjoy the theater and I love Shakespeare, so when I learned that the National Theater Live was screening Coriolanus, I jumped at the opportunity to see this production! For those who may not be familiar, NT Live is a great organization that screens British plays, via cinemas, all over the world. It is an amazing and wonderful system and I am so thankful that it exists! Moreover, since screening venues are limited, I am super lucky that NYU's Skirball Theater is a designated venue for NT Live events!

The first NT Live I saw at NYU Skirball was Danny Boyle's critically acclaimed adaptation of Frankenstein, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. This visually astounding and groundbreaking stage adaptation of Mary Shelley's haunting tale is unique in many ways, but it's most distinguishing feature was probably the nightly alternating of the lead roles between Cumberbatch and Miller. Essentially, both actors play Dr. Victor Frankenstein AND the Monster. What a cool concept. (Trailer 1 and Trailer 2)
I wanted to see Boyle's production of Frankenstein for many reasons. I found the creative interpretation of the story fascinating, I love both of the lead actors, and frankly, Frankenstein, is one of my favorite novels (much to the surprise of many people). Ever since reading it in high school, I have always been intrigued by it. The story of redemption, life and death, science, prejudice, obsession…I've always found the themes of Frankenstein fascinating. I am delighted to say that Boyle's Frankenstein was phenomenal and I really really hope Danny Boyle changes his mind and allows for this production to be released on DVD! The show was so intense and haunting, but something I would be happy to watch over and over again.

The actors in rehearsals. 
(Pictures I took from the behind the scenes film.)

Anyway, back to Coriolanus. I will admit to you now, I knew very little about this play. I had the basic gist: tragedy, war, Ancient Rome, recent Ralph Fiennes film, etc… I really didn't know the details of the play and I seriously debated whether to read the text beforehand. The combination of not having time and wanting to be surprised persuaded me against reading in advance. Whilst I think reading the text beforehand may have made understanding the dialogue a bit easier, I was still able to follow the story and I was at the edge of my seat the whole time! (Trailer 1 and Trailer 2)
My ticket!
Program

So, I'm not going to give you a summary of the play. (If you want that, here is a link to Wikipedia). I know that this is one of Shakespeare's underrated works, but I don't really know why. The idea of politics, military service, poverty, divides between the governing class vs the "common people", discord created by tension… I agree with Tom Hiddleston and I do think that the issues that this play raises are still pertinent today.

In the behind the scenes video that was screened before the play began, Mark Gatiss (he played Menenius Agrippa) describes Coriolanus as a "proto-fascist," which I think is a very powerful, but fair statement. Coriolanus is out of touch with the people --- he has no desire to get to know them. As a decorated war hero, he is very set in his ways and is not afraid to vocalize his opinions, for better or for worse. He wants things to run like a well oiled machine and mistakes the citizens of Rome for his army --- he doesn't see them as human beings, but as soldiers who should obey his beck and call. Despite his flaws and his terrible opinions regarding the common man, he is a war hero and he saved Rome from the Volsci. 
Some photos I snapped from the behind the scenes featurette
Tom Hiddleston looking very handsome!

I really have nothing negative to say about the play. The show, which was housed at the Donmar Warehouse, required minimal sets and props, which worked rather well. The play makes use of light, which turned out to be very powerful and really enhanced the darkness of the play --- if that makes sense. The acting was absolutely superb. Tom Hiddleston blew me away as Coriolanus. He was charming, rugged, tortured, fearless….absolutely flawless. The supporting cast (which included Mark Gatiss, Deborah Findlay, and many more) were equally wonderful. They really became their characters and had the audience hanging on their every word. I was incredibly impressed by this production of Coriolanus. 
(taken from google)

In early March, my father and I FINALLY saw War Horse through NT Live. I say "FINALLY" because my father and I have wanted to see this play for years. When I told him it was going to be screened at Skirball, we both jumped at the opportunity. Wow, words cannot adequately express how much I loved this play. I have seen many theater productions, but no show has ever blown me away and left me as emotional, as "War Horse." (Trailer)
Albert and Joey
(taken from google)

At it's most fundamental level, this play is about the love and friendship between a horse (Joey) and a boy (Albert). Albert raised Joey, trained Joey, and when Joey was sent to France during WWI --- he followed his horse, determined to rescue him and bring him home to England. On a deeper emotional level, the play explores the themes of human emotion, war, redemption, love, hope, and reconciliation. The play is set during the Great War and tells the story from both the British and German perspective. 

I don't want to give anything away, so I won't speak about the plot, but I do want to talk about the creative design team. I don't know who exactly came up with the idea of puppets or the stage setting -- but whoever was involved with that should win many many awards. The play's combination of physical sets and visual aides was absolutely flawless and genius --- it really made you feel as though you were in the trenches in France. The use of music and lightening also really set the mood of each scene, sucking you into the play. The creativity displayed in War Horse still resonates with me. 
(taken from google)

Of course, the real scene stealer of the play is the horse puppets. Those puppeteers are absolutely incredible. First off, I have much respect for them and all of their hard work --- holding up and maneuvering those horse puppets CANNOT be easy. I am also beyond impressed by their ability to capture the essence of the horse and really convey what the horse is thinking, without speaking. (Joey is no Mr. Ed!) I know this will sound crazy, but I think the horse puppets were more realistic and impressive than real horses!

If you haven't seen War Horse and you have the opportunity to see it, I highly encourage you to see it --- in fact, I urge you to see it. It is so beautiful, touching, creative, and emotional…really, everyone should experience it at least once! 
(taken from google)

In May, my parents and I will be watching the NT Live screening of "King Lear." I am so excited! It will star Simon Russell Beale, who is a phenomenal actor, and the fascist-looking interpretation is intriguing. Also, Sam Mendes is directing, who is so awesome. Can't wait to see it!!!  

This post is wayyyy overdue, but I wanted to share it anyway. I wrote it back in January, when school started again, but alas, homework got the better of me and this post was left in my drafts folder for far too long. Tonight, I was determined to finish it! So here it is!!!

Comments

  1. Hello
    I know this is going to sound really weird, but I am writing this exam project tomorrow, where I have to use two reviews about the tv-program “supersize vs. superskinny”, and there has to be one review which is positive, and another review which is negative. But I have only managed to find one positive review, which is yours. I would therefore really like to use your blogpost, and therefore I would really like to know your name, because I haven’t been able to find it and my teachers prefer to have a name of the writer, when we analyses written material.
    Best regards Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks for reaching out. Please feel free to use my blog post --- I hope it helps! My name is Aki Adachi. Good luck with your assignment!
    Cheers,
    Aki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shalom Japan: It's Me, on a Plate!

Gordon Ramsay's Cheesy Potato Dauphinoise

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Where Greek Mythology Comes to Life